Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie needs some advise
Hi Everyone,
I am new to real cigar smoking and have a few questions that I hope aren’t too noobish. I also do not know anything about wood, which is one of the questions I have.

1. Are all wood boxes cigars are sent in made of Spanish Cedar? If not how can you tell which are and which is not Spanish Cedar?
2. Are boxes that are painted or varnished, such as the 5 Vegas Gold boxes, ok to put in an igloodor? Will the paint or varnish affect the taste of the cigars in the igloodor? The 5 Vegas Gold boxes have a very strong odor of paint.

Some expert opinions would be extremely helpful to this cigar noob.

Thanks
[welcome] to the best damn Cigar BB anywhere.

I believe most cigar boxes are cedar even if they are dress boxes (paper wrapped) except maybe the machine mades on the low end.

Regarding painted or varnished boxes I think it depends on how much odor is coming off the box itself.  Sounds like it would be a good idea to get 5 Vegas stuff into another container and leave the varnished box out until the odor dissipates.

I'm sure there's better guidance to be had out here somewhere.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Welcome to Stogie Chat!

I think Headley hit the nail on the head. Most boxes are either cedar or a cedar product (plywood). But the painted/varnished boxes will not go in my coolerdors until all odor has disipated completely.
Welcome, what I did with my painted box was take the sticks out and put them in the coolidor and leave the box out until the paint smell goes away, put the cigars back in and wham you got your box in the coolidor.  No problems with smell for me so far.
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
[welcome]  [rob]
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
welcome.  and everyone's hit it on the head.  had a box of sancho panzas that stunk to high holy hell.  let it sit until smell disappated.  put cigars in box.  put box in cabinet.

good luck.
[welcome] awesome place and great guys!
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
from 1 newbie 2 another[welcome]
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
I have 1 simple rule... if it smells bad, dont store near cigars. Other than that, no generalizations about varnished wood or any other finishes...

But my other simple rule is: no rules. I like to enjoy my hobby and not complicate it.

By the way, with over 300 empty boxes lying around, should I get a bad smelling box, I simply transport my smokes into another box... A surrogate Tongue  before putting them into my humidor.

Then again, I bought a box of G-3's that came in a leather box. I love what this does for the cigars. (come to think of it, the sopranos box has some leather in it too.)
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:But my other simple rule is: no rules. I like to enjoy my hobby and not complicate it.
best cigar advice ever.  period.