Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Smoking - A Basic Guide
I wrote this last weekend for Bob & Dale (www.dogwatchsocialclub.com) and thought it may be helpful.

Winter Smoking

This time of year a lot of people start thinking about what they are going to do over the winter months. The concerns range from the significant other not being happy about smoking inside to freezing your tuckus off, so I have complied a few tips for those who may want to try smoking inside this winter.

Let’s start with options on where to smoke.

1.) Garage – This is easy because…well, it’s a garage and most people aren’t concerned with what it smells like. But, garage odors can waft into your abode. Here are a few things for sprucing up the garage and keeping the odors to a minimum.

a.) Air purifiers. There are a ton on the market and they definitely help to eliminate lingering odors. Csonka smoker cloakers have been around for years and have a good track record for reliability and performance. Surround Air also makes some that are affordable but their longevity remains to be seen. I find it’s best to keep the air purifier on all the time. The Csonka models will kick on and off as need and work very well at not only removing smoking while smoking but removing residual odors long after you’re gone.

Cracking your garage door slightly will help bring in fresh air and clear out the smokey air. Also, a strategically placed fan can help push air flow out the crack in the garage helping reduce the odor as well.

b.) Heat. Even if your garage is insulated, you may want to add some heat so you don’t freeze your tuckus off. Electric space heaters are probably your best bet and do a pretty good job for minimal cost when used for short periods of time. DO NOT use kerosene heaters in a closed environment! Ceiling mounted heaters work great but can be costly to purchase and operate.

c.) Atmosphere. Smoking in your garage may not sound appealing but if you make yourself comfy, it can be quite pleasant. Consider adding comfort items like a tv, radio, lounge chairs, outdoor carpet (this will help to keep the cement floor from feeling cold as well), lighting, etc.

2.) Screened porches. Depending on your budget, this could be your best option. Replacing screens with sliding glass doors can do wonders to creating a great year round smoking room. If that’s out of the budget, try temporarily sealing your screened areas with plastic tarps to block the wind. Space heaters or a chimea is a decent heat source for this area as well.

3.) Sheds. For a about $600 (Arrow Ezee or TUFF are two mfgs), you can pick up a small shed from your local home center. They usually are made of abs plastic or cheap wood. You can add insulated panels and/or a space heater to warmth.

4.) Basements. This is probably the best option, assuming you can get “approval” but it shouldn’t be tough since it’s in the basement with all the junk. There are some more considerations to doing this than just cracking a window and lighting up though. You know from experience that cold air rushes in to replace the warm air, so opening a window will only push the smoke back into the house – possibly up stairways and through floor joists. A few things to consider doing prior to smoking in your basement.

a.) Build out a room. Add a couple of walls to make a smoking room. It’s pretty simple to do and should only take a weekend. Pick a room with a window or consider installing a powerful (but quiet) bathroom exhaust fan (about $100 + running a duct to the outside). Add insulation, a vapor barrier (plastic to prevent smoke seepage through the walls and ceiling) and drywall and you’re done.

b.) If a room is out of the question. Try installing a window exhaust fan. This
will help to force out the smoky air. This technique usually works best if
another window or door is cracked as well. Of course, you will have to
replace the lost heated air with new warm air, so a space heater may be
needed. An air purifier is also recommended for after you are done
smoking. This will help eliminate any stale smoke odor.

5.) Living rooms, dens, TV rooms, etc. This may be the hardest to get “approval” for but is by far the most comfortable option. Some things to consider would be:

a.) Air purifiers. This is a must for smoking in finished living areas. You
should let them run after you are smoking to continually battle any
lingering odors. They also give the spouse the illusion that you are
concerned about getting rid of odors. If she can see a fancy device
working, she’ll be less likely to say anything.

b.) Pick a room with doors that close. This is greatly reduce the smoke
from possibly affecting other areas of the house. It will also keep
the noise down since all your buddies will want to come over to
smoke at your house.

c.) Leather furniture vs fabric. Leather is by far the choice material for
a smoking room. It’s much easier to clean and doesn’t retain odor
anywhere near as much as fabrics do. If you have fabric furniture,
spray it with an odor eliminator. Pure Ayre is by far the most
superior odor eliminator. Other products are available but they
cover odors more than eliminating them. Pure Ayre uses an enzyme
to eliminate odor and is internationally labeled “food safe”, meaning
you can even drink it if you want.

Well, that’s what I’ve come up with so far.

Hope this helps.

~Mark
ww.Cigarmony.com
Thanks Mark, I am a garage smoker, I use a double propane heater, open the man door and crack the window.  I also use a fan to blow out the smoke through the door, I have my radio, mags and a fould up  reclining chair.  Works great for me until I build my bar. Tongue
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
I get the frozen tuckus on the front porch.  Better than the dog house and we don't have a dog!
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
Bobgun Wrote:I get the frozen tuckus on the front porch.  Better than the dog house and we don't have a dog!
I feel you, Bobgun.
I do the garage deal, too.  Insulated, heated and cable TV.  The only thing missing is the couch.
I just don't EXHALE....Problem solved.
Great tips Mark!

I also do the garage thing. I recently setup a spare desk, a table and placed my laptop there for entertainment. I also brought down a small humidor I had and filled it up. Have some lighters and cutters always there. My wife just bought me a heater for when it gets cold down there and also got me new curtains for the window! Smile

I crack the door pending on how cold it gets. Sometimes just a bit or sometimes fully opened. But I always open it. Its amazing how smoke travels though...sometimes the smoke aroma does go upstairs, but my wife doesnt mind...she just lights a candle. I cannot smoke in the house, nor want too. So its a good solution.
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
Deb & I curl up in front of the fireplace... the draft up the flue draws the cigar smoke right out
I live in LA so Tongue.........even at night its not cold......I put on a sweater and chill on my front porch.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Maduro PiPs Wrote:Great tips Mark!

I also do the garage thing. I recently setup a spare desk, a table and placed my laptop there for entertainment. I also brought down a small humidor I had and filled it up. Have some lighters and cutters always there. My wife just bought me a heater for when it gets cold down there and also got me new curtains for the window! Smile

I crack the door pending on how cold it gets. Sometimes just a bit or sometimes fully opened. But I always open it. Its amazing how smoke travels though...sometimes the smoke aroma does go upstairs, but my wife doesnt mind...she just lights a candle. I cannot smoke in the house, nor want too. So its a good solution.

Pretty much the same set up for me, I put the heater on for about an hour before I go in to the garage just to take the chill out.

Cool
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why