Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some sticks wrapped in cedar and others aren't?
Just the subject says...I've often wondered this, but never knew where to ask it...that is until I found you all Smile

And I heard it one time that if a stick comes wrapped in cedar, you should (try to) light the cigar with the lite cedar...any thoughts?

Bogey Wrote:Just the subject says...I've often wondered this, but never knew where to ask it...that is until I found you all Smile

And I heard it one time that if a stick comes wrapped in cedar, you should (try to) light the cigar with the lite cedar...any thoughts?

Good question...& I really don't know the correct answer...:?

BUT....DO NOT LIght the cigar with the cedar still on it! Confusedhock:
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Bogey Wrote:Just the subject says...I've often wondered this, but never knew where to ask it...that is until I found you all Smile

Let me edit this - if a stick comes with cedar on it, first, take the cedar off the cigar and (try to) light the cedar and then use the lite cedar (that is no longer on the cigar) to light up your cigar...
Sorry...[lol]....I missubderstood....I read the post too fast[doh]

But I have seen people smoke a cigar with the cedar still on! Confusedhock:

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
IMO, Cedar sleves around the cigars serve several purposes, but none of which are a big deal. The sleves serve to protect from damage esp if they dont come in celo, help with aging (a very little bit), but is mostly part of the companies marketing. If you look at most all of you high end cigars they dont have the sleves around them. If the sleves served a vital roll they they would all have the sleves on them. Also, the sleves that are in the tubes help protect the cigar from rubbing aginst the metal insides. Hope that this helps!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt

Its mainly to light the cigar...

Its cool to try once in awhile, but I will generally just toss it.
stogiedad.1 Wrote:IMO, Cedar sleves around the cigars serve several purposes, but none of which are a big deal. The sleves serve to protect from damage esp if they dont come in celo, help with aging (a very little bit), but is mostly part of the companies marketing. If you look at most all of you high end cigars they dont have the sleves around them. If the sleves served a vital roll they they would all have the sleves on them. Also, the sleves that are in the tubes help protect the cigar from rubbing aginst the metal insides. Hope that this helps!
I do agree that cigars in tubes come with cedar as an extra measure of care, and serve to help with humidity. However, I've rarely seen cigars with cedar that are without cello.

From what I understand, manufactures can do it to make the cigars look cool or because the cedar sheet imparts wood flavors on the tobacco, and anyone who has smoked a Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra can tell you this works.

Im waiting for Skip to come on here and tell you dont.....DONT EVER LIGHT YOUR CIGAR WITH THE CEDAR SHEET!!

Spanish cedar dust is not good for your health when inhaled, which is the people who work with it wear masks

I wonder what others have to say on cedar sheets.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:
stogiedad.1 Wrote:IMO, Cedar sleves around the cigars serve several purposes, but none of which are a big deal. The sleves serve to protect from damage esp if they dont come in celo, help with aging (a very little bit), but is mostly part of the companies marketing. If you look at most all of you high end cigars they dont have the sleves around them. If the sleves served a vital roll they they would all have the sleves on them. Also, the sleves that are in the tubes help protect the cigar from rubbing aginst the metal insides. Hope that this helps!
I do agree that cigars in tubes come with cedar as an extra measure of care, and serve to help with humidity. However, I've rarely seen cigars with cedar that are without cello.

From what I understand, manufactures can do it to make the cigars look cool or because the cedar sheet imparts wood flavors on the tobacco, and anyone who has smoked a Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra can tell you this works.

Im waiting for Skip to come on here and tell you dont.....DONT EVER LIGHT YOUR CIGAR WITH THE CEDAR SHEET!!

Spanish cedar dust is not good for your health when inhaled, which is the people who work with it wear masks

Serious?
Teck1337 Wrote:
sergione Wrote:

Serious?
Ya man, its bad for you. How bad I dont know, but people do heroin and live, this is in that same realm Tongue (YAY its Weird analogy day)

Wheres Skip to drop some knowledge??

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Teck1337 Wrote:
sergione Wrote:

Serious?

sergione, in ref to the sleves giving protection, was ref to no celo on them. say you take the celo off for a "nude" aging. That's what I ment, sorry if i was giving any wrong impressions about the question.

As far as the dust is concerned, You are spot on. Any foreign matter is bad for the lungs. You take coal, it gives you black lung. Wear a mask when working with anything that has fine particals that you might breath in.

And lastly the lighting a cigar with the cedar, I am not sure. Just stick to torch lighter. It works better and faster IMO.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
Theodore Roosevelt