Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death to MOLD
Thanks to all of you I think I killed the mold for good this time!!! But I do have one question how can I keep the temperature down inside my Humidor I can keep the humidity at about 65% with beads. I am in Florida so the humidity is rather high most of the year along with the temp. I think the mold came from the temperature rise in my Humidor? I keep my humidor out of the sun and under a ceiling fan that runs all the time. The house also has central A/C set between 75 and 77 depends on what time of year and how hot it is. The only time the A/C is off is when a "cold" front comes through the lowest temp the house gets is 60 to 65. Sorry for the long post but hope someone can give me some more tips/tricks to try.

Chili_p
Hmm...I never had a problem with a high temp. in the humi.What type hygrometer are you using?
I have a digital one temp in the humidor gets up to 75 some times. Where I see in other post of low temps like 65 to 70 or I just could be paranoid.

Chili_p
The beads will help regulate the humidity down.  Keep the air moving inside as much as possible.  Allow some natural light to hit the inside of the humi if possible but not in direct sunlight.

I'm fairly sure the heat alone is not creating the mold as mold can grow in just about any climate as long as there is moisture.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
I have one of the battery powered fans in their I just need to wipe things down more often. So far I have only lost a couple of smokes nothing major thank goodness. I added a couple drops of bleach to my distilled water like I read in one of the mold postings I think/hope this will help. Also thanks everyone for your replies.

Chili_p
Summer time here in NY I have a similar problem. It can be 100 degrees here & I live on the water where the humidity isoften 100%. Personally I keep my air conditioning on that floor set no higher than 75 even at night or when I'm out just for my cigars. I also ensure sunlight never hits my humidor and it's near an AC vent.

In the winter where it gets well below freezing (even the salt water canal behind my house will freeze) I keep my heat at 68 when I'm home and 60 when I'm away.

The cigars are tollerant.