Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS
Ok last night I found out the hygrom on my only humi is faulty and shows 64 at all times, and my dammm cigars are drier than oh I dunno, drier than bad Thanksgiving day dressing, that  been sitting in the Mohave all month!! Any fast fix remedies? Losing the few I have saved for a long time is gonna make me cry!! And the store I was gifted it from is not open till Monday to take it back and get replaced.......ARGGGHHHHH
Was it a digital?

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
yes TONTO my faithfull friend it was!!

And till just now did not know your avatar was moving!!! never moved before LMAO
WOW....fisrt time I've ever heard of a digital going bad...Off by 3 or 4 percent, but not fixed.

How did you find out it was "stuck"?

If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
took over to friends house to show it off.....you know show and tell....and both of us using ours for only 12 days and his gars were nice and fresh, and mine were just awfull....took the hygrom out and shook it and it never moved....shook his and in room temp conditions started changing immediately. He had the calibrator kit and mine was DEAD IN ITS SHELL!!!

My friend said well exchange it or use for a jewelry box!!! Too nice to use for a Jewelry box unless I quit smoking, and doubtfull anytime soon....!!
i cant help you vixen...sorry.......but just wanted to say very nice humidorBig Grin
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Sorry to hear about this. If your cigars are to far gone don't even bother to try and bring them back. Sad  Rely on your hygrometer to an extent, if you are comfortable that it is working correctly, rely on your sense of feel and the smell of the humi even more. To gauge the condition of your cigars, besides smoking them, take one in the palm of your hand and gently close your hand around it, it should give slightly. Don't do the two finger squeeze thing, you will damage the wrapper that way even if they are in good condition. The hygrometer is only one means to rely on.

Once dried out completely, there is no way to save them and have a decent smoke. Sorry but that is the nature of the cigar and the tobacco. Eternal vigilance and all. Sorry for the bad event.
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
Thanks all. Greatfully since this has happened I did not have a large stock, the humi is/was far larger than I needed but hey its a beauty, and always wanted one anyway!! Lost all but my latest Christmas gifts....thats life....and humming, black cloud following me!!!
You should be able to bring them back, but you would need a couple humidors to do that.   If you bring them back to the right humidity too fast, they will expand...crack, etc. 

Have one humidor very low, like around 50% and start off with that one for a couple weeks.   Then move them to the 65-70% one.   Either way, they will never be as good as they were before.  

I'm surprised that a digital did that!

your references, "shake" & "shell" sound like it was an analog gauge.

Regardless, I would not throw out the cigars.

I have brought back some pitiful cigars using the following method.

I put the cigars in a sealed plastic bag. Then put this package in a cooler-dor with a high 70% humidity. Leave it alone for 3 months checking only that the humidity in the cooler (or Tupperware) stays constant.

I found that the plastic bag will allow only slight amounts of moisture to penetrate. This results in a slow return to normal.

Then, put them in a regular humidor with regular humidity for a few weeks and they should be smokable. Maybe not the jewels they once were but smokable.

Chances are they weren't that bad. If you've been smoking them it couldn't be that bad.