Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arturo Fuente Anejo - Reserva Shark 77
Just before Christmas I was in a newsstand/smoke shop and they had just got in a box of Anejo #55 and #77. I had read a number of rave reviews so I picked up the two boxes they had and a few singles a few days latter so that I could try them without splitting up the boxes. Heading home from the store I had a little buyers remorse that I had just purchased two boxes without ever trying them and on top of it I had never even tried a Maduro. So they have been siting in my humidor for a couple of months waiting for a nice occasion to try while I've been burning through the 25 different kinds of cigars, shop owners have recommend I try and a lot of them just were not my palette. 

So last night I took the wife out to dinner downstairs at the Fire House Restaurant and then after dinner upstairs to the martini/cigar bar to try my first Anejo and Maduro at the same time.

The wrapper had a rich dark chocolate very even color with no blemishes, fine veins and a nice oily sheen. Pre-light I had the luck of what turned out to be a perfect cut. Toasted the foot and it let out a sweet aroma. Lighting it took a little work before I got it  going as one of the corners just wouldn't lite. The flavor started off a little flat, but very smooth then it came to mind that it may not live up to all the hype and my expectation. Then this great taste started to creep in. Sweet syrupie molasses with hints of cinnamon and almond. Very smooth taste that gradually grew more satisfying. Perfect medium draw that brought out billows of lite grey smoke. The smoke felt like it had weight to it. The ash was a flaky firm medium grey that stayed to well over an inch. I had a burn issue a little past the half way mark, it had some mild tunneling and went out. I tapped off the ash and re-lit it without any problem or any sacrifice to the taste. Then at the 3/4 mark it started to give off papery pine taste and was time to let it burn out. 

In total it was about 45 minutes of sheer pleasure. I would have loved to smoke another one that evening. And I hear they are even better with age as I can now see that it will be hard to hold on to them long enough to age them.
[Image: IMG_3425.jpg]

Very nice review Keith.  As you said, these do get MUCH better with age.  2+ years does wonders as they mellow out alot and they get a great, the only way I can describe it is "raisin" smell and flavor to them, it is absolutley wonderful.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
a superlative review of a superlative cigar.  I am rightly jealous!

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Mark Wrote:Very nice review Keith.  As you said, these do get MUCH better with age.  2+ years does wonders as they mellow out alot and they get a great, the only way I can describe it is "raisin" smell and flavor to them, it is absolutley wonderful.
Agreed.  I don't like fresh Anejo's at all.  They're much too harsh.  Give them at least a year to take that edge off.  Mine will all probably age to at least 2 years before I give them a try again.
What a great review.

Nice job, Keith. Thanks.
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Nice job Keith. You done good with that purchase. Be patient and let a few sit.

DOc
--
Doc Stogie Fresh
www.StogieFresh.com