Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ramon Allones Specially Selected
I have to thank Graham for this great Habanos.

As many of you know I am an avid Ramon Allones hater, bought a box and gave them all away.  Graham thought that he could change my mind with the new 06's that just came out.  I had some time tonight to give a cigar my full attention, so I grabbed this RASS with an open mind.  I knew going into this that I didn't like them, but I would reserve judgement until I was finished.  Upon first glance this cigar was a typicl Habanos, perfect cap, silkly smooth wrapper, and a great smell on the nose.  Prelight the cigar didn't have the resistance that I usually like, but that changed when lit.  There was just enough resistance to draw with ease, but not too much to be a task.  The first third was a little harsh, which is pretty normal with a new cigar.  Once the harshness settled down there was a sweetness with a toasted tobacco flavor.  The smoke was very smooth on the palate that left a nice coating in your mouth. 

All in all it was a very nice cigar, without a doubt the best RASS that I have had to date.  I would love to try an aged one, 5+ years, to make final judgement on them and to see if it reall is worth investing in a box for the long run.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Nice review.

I havent had many RASS, and while they lag behind Epi #2's and PSD4's in my mind, I have to say I did enjoy them quite a bit.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
These are among my very favorites.

Maybe you had a bad batch?
No Reserve, No Retreat, No Regrets!!!
Glad to see you had a good experience with this one Mark.  The handful I've had were all pretty blah.
I had my 1st RASS this past weekend. I've heard so much hype about this smoke that I wanted to find the time I could sit back and enjoy without any distractions. I got the stick in a PIF and it was dated June 06. Normally I wouldn't smoke a stick so young but word on the street was these were excellant right OTB. Very nice construction smelled nice, lit nice, and burned nice. Initial flavor was flavorfull typical Cuban twang but tasted a bit young. Towards the middle of the smoke flavor was very pleasing but nothing spectacular, not bad but not awesome. It smoked cleanly right to the nub. All and all not a bad smoke but didn't live up to the hype IMO. I'm certainly not running out to by a box. I'd like to get one with some age to see how they improve before purchasing for aging.
Very interesting to read your review Mark.  Pleased that you enjoyed it.  Nice cigars in my opinion.  Think the 06's are good because word is that 06's are using aged filler.  I've heard 5yrs+ RASS are phenomenal, but I have not been lucky enough to try one.

Previously I've had some fresh RASS in 05 that were not up to much at all.
I'm on the opposite side of the wall.  I think the RASS are a great and consistent cigar.  The flavors are rich and smooth.  The '06 production has been great for being so young (even with the aged filler) so I can't wait to see what these are like in 5+ years.

Glad that you gave them a chance.
Mark Wrote: I would love to try an aged one, 5+ years, to make final judgement on them and to see if it reall is worth investing in a box for the long run.
remind me when we go to Robs
From what I can tell, you either like the rass or you don't. It seems to be a very earthy/vegetal flavor that most don't like.

IMHO of course! [guiness]
I think a lot depends whether they are "on" or not.  When they are off they can be acrid dirty ass smokes whereas when they are "on" IMHO they can be simply divine.