Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snickers pulling their add
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:For those of you who wish to attack my ethnicity, go ahead. I am Italian & Maltese. Just make sure you are my friends! Wink

Skipper's a wop?! Tongue

German & Irish here...hit me!

One of my best friends is homosexual. I call him queer, fag, homo, etc... but he knows i have a cynical sense of humor, and I love'm to death (in a 100% heterosexual way). Hell, he dishes it out just as bad. It's all a matter of context, like Skip saying he doesn't care as long as your his friend... Guess I'll find out very soon if I'm skip's friend or notConfusedhock:. Not looking to get involved in a heated debate, so I'll leave it at that.

The commercial was funny, btw. Big Grin
People are just way too touchy these days.   I really fail to see how one word can be worse than one of its synonyms.  I could say queer, gay, homo, etc.  They all mean the same exact damn thing.  Which word I choose to use doe not matter.  The only thing that should matter is the intent behind the word.

Why is crap ok when shit is considered a curse word?  Same exact meaning.  No reason for one to be considered bad.  If I said "they screwed up" or "they f**ed up", don't I mean the same thing?  Which word I choose to use is inconsequential.
Zaphod Wrote:People are just way too touchy these days.   I really fail to see how one word can be worse than one of its synonyms.  I could say queer, gay, homo, etc.  They all mean the same exact damn thing.  Which word I choose to use doe not matter.  The only thing that should matter is the intent behind the word.

Why is crap ok when shit is considered a curse word?  Same exact meaning.  No reason for one to be considered bad.  If I said "they screwed up" or "they f**ed up", don't I mean the same thing?  Which word I choose to use is inconsequential.
before I respond to the other post I will say it is different  among friends.  There is context there for understanding.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
ColbyPants Wrote:
Beerlord Wrote:Nothign wrong wththe word queer. The q work give me a break, there is too much political correctness in this world, i call  a rose a rose a spade a spade and idiot and idiot etc...
thats fine in your own personal time, this is a public forum.  This is not a political correctness, its common courtesy, how would you like it if I called you something derogatory regarding, your sex, race, religion, sexual orientation just because I disagreed with.  Thats right, youd be pissed. Well calling someone a queer or a homo is just like that.  One of the thing I value about this forum is that we can discuss controversial topics like adults.  Let try to keep it that way.

I have not problem with your opinion that you want the commercial back on.  I just dont like the name calling, especially because the is no reason for it.

TomC

I disagree, it's a 100% political correctness, back inteh 80's everyone who was gay was called, gay, but now since the pc group came about gay only means gay men, gay women and now lesbians, but not gay, what ever.  If you honestly thing tha i am soo thin skinned i wold be pissed fi you called me somthing you don't know me very well at all, that ginneawopdago Skip knows me well thou. People need to grow some thincker skin and takes their balls out the wife's purse and stop being offeneded by everything.

It comes down to contex

its the contex of words that make them god or bad, the intention, not the words themselves.

Like no one would feel offended if I called my friend Jesse a Beaner, why? cause you know im not rasist....IM A BEANERBig Grin

Getting back to the AD...I thought it was funny. Not mean in any way but really f-ing funny. Hate to see it go.

And I am with Beerlord, we shouldnt say "the Q word" if we are only just discussing the topic but Colby Pants your right, it is wrong when it is used in a different manner,

OUT OF CONTEX.

and guys dont get mad cause I said beaner.....I usually say FRIJOLERO...lol
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
Serg, you're a beaner? I can't talk to you anymore. I'd like those cigars I sent you back, and stop posting on the boards. Thank you. Tongue
Rubie Wrote:Serg, you're a beaner? I can't talk to you anymore. I'd like those cigars I sent you back, and stop posting on the boards. Thank you. Tongue

LoL....See guys CONTEX I know Rubie isnt rasist cause he used the word in a non racist way.

unless he is and I misunderstood honesty for satire...2 bad anyways, I already smoked the cigarsTongue

LOL
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
sergione Wrote:
Rubie Wrote:Serg, you're a beaner? I can't talk to you anymore. I'd like those cigars I sent you back, and stop posting on the boards. Thank you. Tongue

LoL....See guys CONTEX I know Rubie isnt rasist cause he used the word in a non racist way.

unless he is and I misunderstood honesty for satire...2 bad anyways, I already smoked the cigarsTongue

LOL
One of my buddies here in SD is hispanic. His nickname... Bean. Good kid.

You smoked them already? Wow!
so the overriding opinion of the people involved in this thread is it is okay to use whatever malicious term you feel, and its the person hurt by the harsh words fault for being offended?  So should we go back to calling african american folks the n word?  you gonna walk around calling me a taig, and then on top of that a pansy for being offended.  The beauty of the english language is it is a very descriptive one ,a nd so it VERY MUCH MATTERS what words you chose.  Afican american or Black is descriptive, the n word is belittling, the same as Irish Catholic is descriptive and taig is dehumanising.  Skip qualified, saying you better be my friend, well what if a random person on the street calls you a WOP?  well the same thing rings true for the homosexual community saying they are gay or homosexual is one thing, calling them gay or queer or, worse, faggots, is belittling.

my point is not the words itself, it the phrasing of youre original post.  its is malicious (just as your "People need to grow some thincker skin and takes their balls out the wife's purse and stop being offeneded by everything." is, why am I less of a man because I have a diverging opinion?)  you want to argue free speechand the right to have the commerical thats fine.  Why did you need to call the opposing groups homos or queers,? the way I read it it is to belittle those groups to make your argument stronger, which isd the lazy way out (and thus not political correctness, because as I read it your intent was to slur).  (and your "Nothign wrong wththe word queer. The q work give me a break, there is too much political correctness in this world, i call  a rose a rose a spade a spade and idiot and idiot etc..." argument reinforces that, comparing idiots and the such to homos, in a negative and belittling light). If you want to present the argument that free speech is important and the commercial is worth continuing to run fine.  If you want to argue than the gay rights groups reasoning for pulling the ad is flawed even better, great.  but asx I read it, the reason you think that their argument is flawed is because they are QUEERS, is not only weak, it is biggoted.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Rubie Wrote:
sergione Wrote:

LOL
One of my buddies here in SD is hispanic. His nickname... Bean. Good kid.

You smoked them already? Wow!

JK There are still some smokes there.

You dont have to prove yourself to me Rubie, I know you were jk

Big Grin

George Carlin