Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hank Bauer passes
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-bauer&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hank Bauer wasn't an American hero for plaing baseball. He was a solid, scrappy ballplayer who didn't stand out on a team of all stars, but got the job done to help win pennants and WS titles.

He was a hero for fighing in WWII earning 2 Purple Hearts and 2 Bronze Stars and serving this nation in a time of need.

"One month after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Bauer enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps. While in the South Pacific, Bauer contracted malaria, but recovered enough to earn 11 campaign ribbons, two Bronze Stars and a pair of Purple Hearts in 32 months of combat. His second injury came during the Battle of Okinawa, when he commanded a platoon of 64 men. Only six survived the brutal siege, with shrapnel hitting Bauer in the thigh and sending him home." - wikipedia.org

Very, very few sports stars could be called heros, but I beleive he was one of them.

RIP
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
[usa]  Amen Mike, these men are what it is all about! 
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
that was the era when sportsmen gave up that privilige to become heros, and he looks likes a prime example. . .

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
ColbyPants Wrote:that was the era when sportsmen gave up that privilige to become heros, and he looks likes a prime example. . .

TomC

Quite a few pro athletes went off to fight in WWII and Korea.  Over 500 major league players went to WW2, 29 of which were later inducted into the HoF and many from the NFL and NBA went as well.   With the sole exception of Pat Tillman, I can't see any of today's primadonna athletes volunteer to go off and fight in Iraq or Afhganistan.

Prior to Pat Tillman, no well-known U.S. professional athlete in a quarter century had volunteered for service, and none had perished since Buffalo Bills lineman Bob Kalsu in Vietnam in 1970.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ted Williams is the prime example of the athlete putting his country first.  Without question he would have been the all time home run leader losing five prime seasons to military service in both World War II and then later in Korea. 
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:Ted Williams is the prime example of the athlete putting his country first.  Without question he would have been the all time home run leader losing five prime seasons to military service in both World War II and then later in Korea. 

Ted Williams was another great man. Don't forget all the work he dedicated and the influence he had on the Jimmy fund. I saw him at Fenway as a guest of honor, man talk about a standing novation.

Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:Ted Williams is the prime example of the athlete putting his country first.  Without question he would have been the all time home run leader losing five prime seasons to military service in both World War II and then later in Korea.

obviously the person i had in mind when mentioning that Wink

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
Ted Williams was another class act and American hero.

In case anyone missed it I wholeheartedly recommend Leigh Montville's biography on Ted as the definitive work on the subject.  Amazon has it for 12 or so dollars and it's worth every penny and then some.