Poll: Which Humi would you do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Avallo 2000
28.57%
2 28.57%
ARISTOCRAT Plus THC
71.43%
5 71.43%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't make up my mind
Fishhound it seems like you're really stepped up your collection since you've been in contact with other that share the same interest in cigars. It shows how serious you are about collecting when you are considering spending close to the $3k with shipping and a few options for a humidor.

I purchased singles for the last year and my first box in November of 06'. I now have 20 boxes that could probable be condensed to 17. So my oldest smokes are only a few months old, what kind of storage will I need to start a collection that runs into  that in the 5 year old range.

It would be tough to spend that kind of meney on the temp control humidor for 50 boxes (there count) and then find out 6 months from now you need storage for 60 boxes when you could have purchased the 150 box Mxt for $1,899. I guess it also has a lot to do with were you live. My home in the summer without the air condition on, is typically in the ninety's. I couldn't find the thread, but someone a couple of months ago purchased a Aristocrat and it was damaged in shipping. It seemed like they couldn't do enough to fix the problem. I haven't heard many reviews of the Avallo, but it looks nice.
Keith Wrote:I couldn't find the thread, but someone a couple of months ago purchased a Aristocrat and it was damaged in shipping. It seemed like they couldn't do enough to fix the problem.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=3730&forum_id=2
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Fishhound, either way you go, the cabinet will be built to the highest level of craftsmanship. The materials used by both manufacturers is tried and proven, and not just in this type of application. The real difference is the type of exotic veneer that is available that may not be obtainable otherwise. The use of veneer makes exotic choices more affordable, the cabinet will be more stable than most. The ability to withstand abuse is negligible since most of us couldn't fix the dents,dings or scratches if the cabs were made of lead, let alone wood. There is an art involved with that type of repair that leaves most of us way behind.

As far as the climate controlled issue: Avallo has the edge due to the fact of senority, but don't think for a minute that Stabell is far behind.The are both using manufactured units (not by them), so it's a matter of installation, and either can do that equally as well.

I would definitely take Marks advice and contact both as you have said, the base price is just that, a base. When you start getting into the finished product that you want, sticker shock can be serious.

By the way, don't discount David at Heartfelt. He uses a method that enables him to use solid wood without the sideffects commonly inherant with SW humidors (warpage) and could probably install the THC unit also.

Keith also has a great point about size. When I started here at SC I knew I was going to collect. How much I had no idea. When I started seeing the sizes available and looked at my growing collection, I decided multiple cabinets in the 3-4K range didn't make sense to me. So I opted for a different route. If you think you'll settle on 50 boxes, a cab may be in your future. But when you hit 130 boxes, they don't make much sense. At 200 plus, you don't need a cabinet (get medical treatment-although it seems to be a waste and you'll fret over how many more boxes you could've bought) you'll need a room. Of course, now you'll have a room and one day standing in the middle of it think, I need more boxes, this thing looks empty - you're on your way to 300+! Don't laugh, I heard of this guy who knows someone that this happened to.

Don't worry about the quality of a cabinet from either of these two, they are the elite of their field with few peers. The main difference will come down to the final costs and which one fits your needs the best.

Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way, Tfire was the one who had his cab damaged and had to have it repaired.