Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I do Part II
Getting my boat up to speed... The fridge is old. Original equipment. Say around 20 years old. It has some problems now.

1-the freezer does not freeze
2-runs constantly (not good for the batteries at sea)
3-the freezer door ices up (wierd since it does not freeze)
4-the fridge isnt that cold even at max.

A replacement will run around $1,200 (has to run on AC & DC & be marine grade). Or, if I had a clue what to fix I'd give that a go... What do you think could be the problem? Or should I just replace it.

My friend seems to think it's the seals... I gave them a quick check and while not perfect... they dont seem much worse for the wear.

I'll answer this as if it were me. First thing to consider is how long do you plan on keeping the boat. If you answer more then five years, and you use this boat for extended trips (more then 12 hours).  I would replace it new. The newer one will be much more efficient then one rebuilt or fixed. The new one will come with a much better warranty. The new one will most likely have all parts available for quite a few years. A new one will most likely give you lots of years of reliable use and few to no headaches.

If I was going to be selling the boat in a short period of time. Or I was not going to be doing weekends on the boat and only needed to keep my catch, beverages, and a few sandwitchs cold. Then plan B: Leave the old fridge disconnect it and get a few of these.

[Image: 40quart.jpg]

for food and beverage

[Image: 270quart.jpg]

For fish

nah... I will go with fix or replace... I'd rather fix if it makes sense... but I need to know what to fix.

But that  icey-tek caught my eye... I need a new fish cooler. hmmm... expensive?

YETI Roughneck now... they changed names for some copyright nonsense (no doubt involving CI)

ok, looks like tomorrow I'm going to leave work early and get this:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/476450010.htm

(along with 3 new windshield wiper motors and arm kits)

but that's for fish... I'm still going to do something about that dang fridge...

ok, bought and installed the icey thing cooler. But that was strictly for fishing. I need a fridge, if for nothing else, all the drinks I leave on the boat.

So I examined it a bit yesterday and think I found the problem. Some metal on the bottom was rusted and the flaking made it swell. This was leaving a huge gap on the door seal. I cleaned it out and the door closes tight now. I left it running half power. We'll see.

meanwhile all 3 of my windshield wipers wer enot working. At $300 each I was not looking forward to replacing them. I removed the cover form the first one and it was filled with water. Fresh water. The shaft seal had worn and rain got in around the shaft. OK, removed the covers form motors 2 & 3.. hmmm.... looked ok. As I was considering going below to get my electrical meter I saw a screw missing from the windshield mount bracket. Futher the windshield was not touching the bracket with the screw missing. I pulled on the windshield and it touched the bracket and the wipers came to life! That bracket was the ground attachment besides support. OKAY! However the starbord wiper was slow and would not self-park. I found the contach for the self parking seemed too far from the cam-shaft so I bent it and it worked... but it was still awfully slow and the motor was getting hot.. hmmm... something needed oil. I sprayed the shaft with wd40 then put in a drop of 3-1 oil and poof! wipers!

OK, I still need the one motor, but I'm going to try to retrofit a cheaper motor and save a few hundred.

WOOT! THE MEGABYTE COMES BACK TO LIFE!
It sure feels good when you can get something to work.  I probably would have had to make 8 trips back to Home Depot before anything even resembled "good working order"Smile
Freakin' ray of sunshine, ain't I.
Glad to hear you're pimping your ride, Skipper!

I know nothing of boats....but it sure sounds like you've got it going pretty well!
Lace that whip out John!!![italy][rob]