Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keeping the bottom of your cabinet humid
what's up guys? i've got a bit of an issue in my antietam.  i'm always moving my hygrometer around my cabinet (i actually have 3 in there) and i've never paid much attention to the one that i have sitting on the bottom shelf. until now. i just recently checked it, and its a good 10 percent lower than the rest of the cabinet. now, i don't know how long its been like this, but i've been watching it for a few days, and haven't seen any change. any advice on what i need to do to make it humid down there?  i would think gravity would do its thing, and it would be more humid down there. but maybe i'm wrong. should i put a fan in at the top, and point it downward? or what else can i do? as always, any advice is appreciated.
oddly, humidification rises. This has to do with the humid air being more energetic... or, hotter. (again, I am always telling you guys how important temperature is).

So, keep your humidifier on the bottom and let it rise (with or without the help of a fan).

My humidifier sits on the very bottom.
i actually have a co, and a big old tub of beads on the bottom. its a butter container, full of beads, sitting on the very bottom shelf. maybe if i put a box on the next shelf up, above the co, when the fan comes on it would push air into that box, and but not go anywhere immediately?
i dont know...

How bad is it?

how bad do the cigars smoke?

Something to remember, a cigar sitting in low humidity may not be harmed under the right conditions!

The purpose of humidification is NOT TO MOISTEN YOUR CIGARS, rather to prevent any of the precious oils and moisture already in there from escaping. If youe humidor is at 64% on 2 of the 3 shelves and for some reason 60% on the 3rd, this may be fine. What it is saying is the air on that shelf cannot or will not support any further vapor. As such, nothing form your cigars will escape and nothing will go wrong (although in this condition this is delicate and opening the lid will knock it out of wack for a few hours).

Bottom line, once again, how do the cigars on the problematic shelf feel and how do they smoke?
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:i dont know...

How bad is it?

Something to remember, a cigar sitting in low humidity may not be harmed under the right conditions!

The purpose of humidification is NOT TO MOISTEN YOUR CIGARS, rather to prevent any of the precious oils and moisture already in there from escaping. If youe humidor is at 64% on 2 of the 3 shelves and for some reason 60% on the 3rd, this may be fine. What it is saying is the air on that shelf cannot or will not support any further vapor. As such, nothing form your cigars will escape and nothing will go wrong (although in this condition this is delicate and opening the lid will knock it out of wack for a few hours).

Bottom line, once again, how do the cigars on the problematic shelf feel and how do they smoke?

good info there.  man knows everything. 

me? i just would've bought another five pounds of beads and called mark as to where to put the tenth and eleventh oust fans. Wink
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:

How bad is it?

me? i just would've bought another five pounds of beads and called mark as to where to put the tenth and eleventh oust fans. Wink
[ROTF] Your aproaching a 50/50 split of cigars to beads in your humi. I walked by it and there were so many oust fans running the glass was shaking.
its 10 percent lower on the bottom. about 67 on the top shelf and 2 top drawers, and 55-57 on the bottom shelf. i'll smoke one out of the box i keep down there tonight and figure out how they smoke.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:oddly, humidification rises. This has to do with the humid air being more energetic... or, hotter. (again, I am always telling you guys how important temperature is).

So, keep your humidifier on the bottom and let it rise (with or without the help of a fan).

My humidifier sits on the very bottom.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:yes, heat rises.Wink what Skipper said,or add an additional hygrometer down below.[italy][rob]
Keith Wrote:
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:

How bad is it?

[ROTF] Your aproaching a 50/50 split of cigars to beads in your humi. I walked by it and there were so many oust fans running the glass was shaking.
ocd at it's best bro. Smile
Did you salt test the hygrometers?
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles