Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Habanos that you prefer with some age on them
I'm setting up this thread as a reference point for noobs and more experienced smokers alike.  It would be great if some SC BOTL could post their thoughts on cigars that for them tasted better with the benefit of some humi time.
I'm starting off with a controversial number as many like these fresh - PSD4.  I am in the school of appreciating these with a minimum of a year's age on them.  In fact I've just had one with 14 months or so and it was so much better than fresh. 
All Habanos need a year minimum imho.  For long term 5 to 10yrs, Montes, Partagas 898v's, PSD4's, LGC's, Bolivars are among my favorites. Smile
"God is a havana smoker, I've see his gray clouds"
I think that ALL cigars need some age, atleast 1 year is what I let them sit for and somtimes that is HARD.
all the cubanos i've tried benefit from age, and frankly i think a year is an absolute minimum. from what i've read, they don't tend to age their tobacco more than 2 or 3 years in general, while many nicaraguan or dominican sticks may have 4-10 years on the leaves before they're even rolled.

my most glaring example so far: a box of cohiba siglo VI's which tasted like flat hay until they suddenly turned the corner about 4 months ago. now i am absolutely floored by them. box date was oct '04.

the "quickest to bliss" stick i've experienced is the hoyo de monterrey double corona. a box i'm almost done with tasted lovely after only about a year, and continues to get better.

young cubans give me some bitter, grassy, and sour notes. that sourness turns into a complex sweetness with age, and the earthy tobacco flavors replace the grass and bitter stuff. it's all about patience, and it is so worth it when a cigar you've nearly given up on suddenly (and i mean suddenly, it can happen within a month, i've found) turns the corner and comes into its own. the effort of all that upkeep makes aged cubanos a unique animal. you might just buy the cigars, but it takes effort and time on your behalf to bring it home.
I agree with all of the above that listed at least a year.  I've tucked most of my collection away for at least 5yrs.

That said, I'm growing increasingly curious about vintage boxes for sale. What years should be avoided? I've read about the impact of the cigar boom and the quality slump that the island suffered, but what specific box date years are best avoided? LZ and other cuban experts please weigh in.

Thanks
Bungalowbill Wrote:all the cubanos i've tried benefit from age, and frankly i think a year is an absolute minimum. from what i've read, they don't tend to age their tobacco more than 2 or 3 years in general, while many nicaraguan or dominican sticks may have 4-10 years on the leaves before they're even rolled.

young cubans give me some bitter, grassy, and sour notes. that sourness turns into a complex sweetness with age, and the earthy tobacco flavors replace the grass and bitter stuff. it's all about patience, and it is so worth it when a cigar you've nearly given up on suddenly (and i mean suddenly, it can happen within a month, i've found) turns the corner and comes into its own. the effort of all that upkeep makes aged cubanos a unique animal. you might just buy the cigars, but it takes effort and time on your behalf to bring it home.

This post hit the nail on the head completely for me.

I tend to smoke a lot more non-cuban cigars throughout the year and let the new Habano's purchases sit for a minimum of a year to let them settle.

That being said, I like to put all cigars away for at least 6 months to allow them to recover from travel and to balance them in my humi's. A good example was some aged Habano's I purchased that tasted younger than the band suggested which leads me to suggest that travel can play a major part in the overall experiance in some cigars.

Great thread G.

Cool
The 2 most important days of your life are: The day you were born & the day you find out why
I think Partagas needs lots of age, all of them I've smoked which have had 1 to 2 years age are STRONG, peppery, and tannic, and should definately age well.

Boli's are kick ass fresh IMO. Cool