Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of cut?
Stands and Looks Back Wrote:I would say get yourself a Xikar.....one of the best cutters i've ever used
[rob]

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ab826c"Its the only one you have ever used.......Tongue

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ab826c"a straight cut for me. its the best Big Grin
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin
when available, i like to use a nicely honed machete.

otherwise, xikars. definitly invest in something good, whatever it is. different cigars like to be cut differently. pam's just need a nick, while a cubano hoyo dc might require a little more meat taken off the shoulder. technique matters just as much as the cutter, imho. smoke long enough, and you'll have your own preferences for each of your go-to's.
Bluesman455 Wrote:full cut for full flavor,and no hot tongue as sometimes happens with a punch or v cut.[italy][rob]
What Don said [cigar]
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
MikeD Wrote:
Bluesman455 Wrote:full cut for full flavor,and no hot tongue as sometimes happens with a punch or v cut.[italy][rob]
What Don said [cigar]

I've seen MikeD cut...or should I say operate....on a cigar.

It's like watching a surgeon with a scalpel. Cool
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
MikeD Wrote:
What Don said [cigar]

actually, my cut isn't really a cut.  I usually use a Xikar for everything, I close the blades around the head of the cigar and instead of cutting all the way through, I just put enough pressue to score the wrapper then twist the cigar.  I pop off the cut part of the wrapper without ever really cutting into the filler at all.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
I watched you do that at the Herf,now that is how i do it.It made sense the way you did it so now you have converted me to your dark side.
MikeD Wrote:actually, my cut isn't really a cut.  I usually use a Xikar for everything, I close the blades around the head of the cigar and instead of cutting all the way through, I just put enough pressue to score the wrapper then twist the cigar.  I pop off the cut part of the wrapper without ever really cutting into the filler at all.
An interesting technique.  I'll have to give that a try.  I always just straight cut but have a v-cutter that I occasionally use.  Or if I'm smoking in a shop that has one of those monstrosities on the counter that gives a nice v-cut I'll use that.
jan's right about mikey.  since i first met him and saw him performing his surgical procedure i've tried to duplicate it dozens of times with no luck.  the man is an artist and so far it's the best method of "clipping" a smoke i know of. 
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:
MikeD Wrote:
What Don said [cigar]

yeah, like an obgyn doing an episiotomy
What Mike said,all you need to do is just scallop the cap very thin. As to leave a rounded shoulder.