Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Question about Cigars in a Humi
Hello I ave recetley set up my humi it was staged properly and it is currently sitting at 66 -67% humidty with a temperature of 67 -68 degree. Now my sticks have been sitting in my humidor for 2 days

what i am asking is what should the sticks feel like.. They dont feel to wet or humid.. They have soften up a little bit since i bought them but i would assume that because when i bought them they were wrapped so tightly you count even fit air between the sticks... And they were a touch square now they have gone back to being fully round...

I have read on websites that they should feel like a loaf of bread... Is this true
??
personally, i don't put too much into how they feel, more how they smoke. is your hygrometer calibrated? is it digital or analog? if its analog, you can leave it there for looks, but that's all its really for. you always want a digital, but i assume since you know the temp, than that's probably what it is. i don't like to squeeze my cigars for fear of cracking them. i used to go crazy trying to find that cigar that felt "perfect". but then i was warned of the damage you can do, so i stopped that, and have learned to trust my hygrometer. all that being said, where did you get your sticks? do you trust the person who you bought them from? how were they treated before they made it into your humidor? i usually let my sticks rest in my humidor for at least a few days to stabilize, no matter where i get them from. after that, i'll try one and see if i like it, but i like to let them age for even longer.
I'm with Scott calibrate your hygrometer and pounder the construction of each stick as you smoke it.
I have Two Hygro Meters Digital and Analog both were calibrated uesing the salt in the bottle cap method...

Before i bough them they were in a bundle of cellophane...

So I'll just wait a couple of day  and light one up and see how she goes.. and its its to dry (burns to fast and unevenly) i'll add more water to the Humidiers or i'll put some more beads in and its its too wet(Constatally need to be relit hard to pull) then I'll buy some more smokes to drop the RH a touch...

Thanks guys
mister_bin Wrote:I have Two Hygro Meters Digital and Analog both were calibrated uesing the salt in the bottle cap method...

Before i bough them they were in a bundle of cellophane...

So I'll just wait a couple of day  and light one up and see how she goes.. and its its to dry (burns to fast and unevenly) i'll add more water to the Humidiers or i'll put some more beads in and its its too wet(Constatally need to be relit hard to pull) then I'll buy some more smokes to drop the RH a touch...

Thanks guys
sounds like a plan. filling up the humidor is the fun part. i suppose if you really wanted to go by feel, you should sort of squeeze the cigar in your hand, the whole hand. not pinch it between your fingers. it should have a little give, but be pretty firm overall. but again, i try not to do that anymore for fear of damaging my beauty. so, i always try to go with the smoke test. if it smokes good, it's just fine inside my humidor. i've learned in the warmer weather this year that temp is a huge factor in the whole situation. oh, and by the way, [welcome]
Thank you...  and yes i wil be doing the smoke test.. I'm going to let them settled for a little long and probably nextweelend i'll go ahead and spark up a Mi Cubanos and see how it smokes..