Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Humidor Project
Found this posted from another site:

http://www.cigars.northwestpages.com/
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Nice and already full
very very nice. But what some people dont know about mold and humidity...

It appears he left a void between his cedar and the pine wood of the back of this converted cabinet (it looks as if he put in a stip of wood to glue the cedar strips to thus providing a space of about 1/2"). He should have glued the wood directly to the cabinet wall. This space will become a home for all sorts of ugly growth. I wish him luck tho. It is a nice piece. Too nice to ruin. (& I would have used marine quality wood glue)
I wonder about the cedar...   pretty thick.   Spanish Cedar is a bit expensive and normally you don't buy pieces like that.    Hopefully he didn't use regular cedar, as it is poisonous.
The Cost :

$275- Cabinet 6' tall x 3' wide x 18 inches deep.

$125- Cabinetmaker sanded, stained and sprayed finish. Hard to see but turned out excellent. Much better than I could have done and worth the price.

$40- Cabinetmaker to construct the 3 shelves shown. 3' wide x 16 deep

$100- Spanish cedar for the three shelves and for all the Spanish cedar I have cut up to build the framework for the trays.

$112- Total for 12 of the pre-made Spanish cedar trays 7.5 x 12.5 x 2.25. Cheaper to buy pre-made than just the lumber to make drawers.

$25- Misc. wiring and conduit.

$30- Home bedroom humidifier with built in hygrometer that maintains set humidity level.

$20- 8 12" cold cathode lighting stripes to be mounted in pairs on all three shelves plus one set for the bottom cabinet.

$20- Glass for upper doors.

$10- 6 120mm computer fans for stirring air

$20- Digital timer that trigger plug in for the stirring fans (every 45min or so).

~$100 or so to buy Spanish cedar to line the interior. Not sure if its needed with all the Spanish cedar trays for loose sticks and the shelves plus anything on the shelves will be in boxes. Probably will line it with 1/4" and do it right, what’s another $100 right, lol.

They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
DAMN!!! That is badass!! Freakin awesome. See if I get a cabinet..that is how I would want to display my boxes...opened! Not a tetris stack. even though you get more boxes in that way...its not pretty to look at. Unless you dont have glass doors, then that is different...
THE ONE & ONLY - THE LK

The last time there was a Tsunami at SC was many years ago when a young gentleman came in and EARNED the title of Legend Killer
- the Great Parkster

I don't even have words bro.  You have absolutely blown the $hit out of me. No come back, I got nothing, speechless - The Shephard PO - RIP July 2007
Nice setup.  It's alot like mine.  I like having the adjustable/removable shelves up top as well.  It allows me to set them at an angle to display or I can put them in flat for extra storage.  Of course, I've never had all the shelves in the thing since it's been up and running.  I like the extra space too much! Big Grin  Hopefully that space won't cause trouble.  I thought the same thing skip.
looks very similar to the robfather's.  best of luck.
hell yeah!  very nice indeed.