Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my antietam and its seal
get a room humidifier 30%?  that's a wee bit on the unhealthy side.
yeah, i know. dry country. i have to spend a lot of money each year on hand lotion and chap stick. but, thats the trade off so i can enjoy these "dry-heat" type of days in the summer. i'm just taking a guess here, i have a hygrometer in the room, and sometimes it reads so low it won't even give a reading.
scott81425 Wrote:yeah, i know. dry country. i have to spend a lot of money each year on hand lotion and chap stick. but, thats the trade off so i can enjoy these "dry-heat" type of days in the summer. i'm just taking a guess here, i have a hygrometer in the room, and sometimes it reads so low it won't even give a reading.
yeah buy a room humidifier.  next time you need to change the furnace check into one of those jobbies that also has a reservoir to humidify the house.  that dryness is bad for you, the house, and your cigars.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:
scott81425 Wrote:yeah, i know. dry country. i have to spend a lot of money each year on hand lotion and chap stick. but, thats the trade off so i can enjoy these "dry-heat" type of days in the summer. i'm just taking a guess here, i have a hygrometer in the room, and sometimes it reads so low it won't even give a reading.
yeah buy a room humidifier.  next time you need to change the furnace check into one of those jobbies that also has a reservoir to humidify the house.  that dryness is bad for you, the house, and your cigars.
OR, if you have any mechanical ability at all you can go to home depot or lowes and grab a bypass humidifier to install on your furnace yourself.  You will need to cut a hole in the supply and return duct, mount the humidifier, run a 1/4" water line to it (humidifier usually comes with a saddle valve to tap into an existing water line.), and mount the humidistat.  It's really very easy to do and can be doe in a 1/2 hr, a little more if it's your first time.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
Mark Wrote:
OR, if you have any mechanical ability at all you can go to home depot or lowes and grab a bypass humidifier to install on your furnace yourself.  You will need to cut a hole in the supply and return duct, mount the humidifier, run a 1/4" water line to it (humidifier usually comes with a saddle valve to tap into an existing water line.), and mount the humidistat.  It's really very easy to do and can be doe in a 1/2 hr, a little more if it's your first time.
the man knows his chit!  worthy investment of time and money scottso.
Mark Wrote:
unfortunately for me, i have none. at all. not even a little bit. i have tons of electrocic knowledge. there are a lot of things i can fix. but doing ANYTHING that invo lves my furnace, cooler, or any of my vehicles (excluding the stereo) i am completely worthless.
scott81425 Wrote:
Mark Wrote:
unfortunately for me, i have none. at all. not even a little bit. i have tons of electrocic knowledge. there are a lot of things i can fix. but doing ANYTHING that invo lves my furnace, cooler, or any of my vehicles (excluding the stereo) [color="blue"]i am completely worthless.[/color]
Not to us Scott.Smile
lol.  nobody's worthless bro.  perhaps this is something to get a quote on from a havoc guy / firm.
that humidifier works only on hotair systems, right?

I have hot water. It is supposed to be the best head as far as not drying out the air. But when the outside temp drops to 20, there isn't much you can do.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:that humidifier works only on hotair systems, right?

I have hot water. It is supposed to be the best head as far as not drying out the air. But when the outside temp drops to 20, there isn't much you can do.

Correct, you don't have ductwork, so you can't install one.  You can get a stand alone whole house humidifier.

Forced hot water not drying out the house has been proven wrong over the past 5-6 years.  Unless you have a 90+% efficient boiler or furnace the combustion air used by the burner is from the ambient air in the house, as the air in the house is used by the burner it pulls a negative pressure on the house, sucking outside air into the house through all the cracks, windows, and doors, which in turn lowers the humidity of the house as the outside air is much drier than the air inside.
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"