Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smells
For clarification, my previous smoking experience has been a pipe.

Very different aromatic sensation.

Is this a factor?  Does everyone go, "A-ha!  That's it!"
newbie2007 Wrote:For clarification, my previous smoking experience has been a pipe.

Very different aromatic sensation.

Is this a factor?  Does everyone go, "A-ha!  That's it!"
      Bingo, makes more sense to me. I have never smoked a pipe myself, but have been around enough of them to know there are a lot of flavor additives. I would imagine if you've smoked a pipe for any period of time a cigar would be a very suddle taste. 

By the way welcome to the board, hope you learn a lot here, we have quite a few experienced members.
I'm still not getting this one.  I think this is just a case of overthinking the whole experience.  At any rate, I hope you're enjoying the cigars you smoke.  What are your likes and dislikes overall in terms of sticks?
Smoke out on the patio. Big Grin

If the smell is in the air around you, as you state, and not in the taste of the smoke on your palate or the actual smoke itself, off the foot . . . then it's either a lack of good ventilation, or the smoke interacting with something else in your home environment.

As for taste, most of the cigars you've listed tend a bit toward the mild side, other than the CAO. If you've been smoking pipe tobacco for any length of time, your palate will be immune to certain subtleties cigar smokers learn to appreciate over time . . . I'd recommend moving up to some stronger fare:

Don Lino Africa Kifaro
Tatuaje Cojonu or Exclusivo
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel
Rocky Patel Edge Corojo
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 or Virtuoso
Any Opus X you can get your hands on.

If you don't find something in THAT lineup that lights up your taste buds like the 4th of July, well . . . there's always the pipe to go back to!

Anyway, [welcome] to StogieChat. Classic first post, lol.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
Interesting post...and welcome to SC!

Putting a scientific explaination to why, or not, a cigar is enjoyed does defeat the purpose of smoking it to begin with.   However there are some avenues that you may persue to get a better feel of what you are experiencing...

Two major things come into play with cigar smoking, the Olfactory system and your taste buds.  Generally, I feel that most cigar smokers just puff on their cigar and dont exhale through their nose.   If you exhale through your nose on occasion, you will experience a huge change in the cigar characteristics.

Another factor (more scientific) is that most humans have generally the same genes / number of taste receptors on their tounge.  The cells in the Olfactory system contain one receptor for scent per cell.   Your taste buds have on average 50-150 per cell.   Your personal perception of taste is different from someone else.   Yes, sweet is sweet, sour is sour, but how sweet or bitter can only be experienced individually.   You could have more receptors that are sensitive to sour tastes as well.  

Those individuals who have the higher average of receptors per cell tend to be very extreme when it comes to flavors.   And alas, they should!  They are able to get more "information" from the actual flavors via the receptors in their taste buds.   On the downside, what is leathery tasting to most can end up being more of a barnyard taste to the taste sensitive people.

Have you ever experienced similar "foul" nuisances when drinking wine?
If so, that is your answer.... its your sensitive taste buds.    If you wish to keep trying cigars, then I suggest some very mild cigars and then work your way up.  The Macanudo is probably the mildest, then the Fuente, from your list.  Did you enjoy those more than the Cohiba or Monte?   Or, it may be the opposite from smoking pipe for so many years...you may need a stronger cigar like OpusX or Cohiba XV, Camacho, Tatuaje for your taste buds to get the full effect!

A cigars taste can also be easily influenced by what you ate prior, like spicy or garlic loaded foods.   Different spirits will also do the same...   Drinking vodka with a cigar is a totally different (yuck) experience than having a glass of bourbon or wine with one!

But honestly, putting so much into trying to understand the flavors and why...just takes away from the cigar enjoyment.
[welcome]

.- -. -.. /  ... --- -- . - .. -- . ... /  .- /  -.-. .. --. .- .-. /  .. ... /  .--- ..- ... - /  .- /  -.-. .. --. .- .-. .-.-.- /  .--- ..- ... - /  . -. .--- --- -.-- /  .. - .-.-.- 

Big Grin
Harpo Marx Wrote:[welcome]

.- -. -.. /  ... --- -- . - .. -- . ... /  .- /  -.-. .. --. .- .-. /  .. ... /  .--- ..- ... - /  .- /  -.-. .. --. .- .-. .-.-.- /  .--- ..- ... - /  . -. .--- --- -.-- /  .. - .-.-.- 

Big Grin
So true Harpo
Welcome to SC!!!   Cool