Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok folks, here's a little tidbit of info that can save you mucho buckos.

I have around 11 of those little digital hygrometers (no, I'm not anal like Rob-well, maybe I am but that's not why I have 11... I used to have 9 humidors(and actually have 9 again)... Anyway, all but one of these little gems takes a button cell battery known at radio shack as the 357. A 1.5 volt button cell. It runs around $5.50

I don't know if you guys know this, but the vast reason for the variety of button cells is simply size. They are all mostly electronically equivalent with some capacity (life) exceptions.

Here's where you can save some scratch.

Hearing aid batteries, model 657 run 5 per pack for $6. Yes, that's about $1.20 each or around 1/5th the price. And they are exactly the same size as the 357 but are not electronically equivalent. However, they are close enough. They are .1 volt less. If this concerns anyone, you should not be. Less voltage is actually gentler on the electronics-it will push slightly less amps. So what does this less voltage mean? Well, I got around 1 month less life form the 657 than I get from the 357. 10 months compared to 11 (this is an average as I have so many of these things and few are alike).

So, if your hygrometer takes button cell 357 go get yourself a package of hearing aid batteries (657) and save some $.
what?! you'll have to speak up.
Great info Skip if you need then asap. I got a 50 pack on ebay for $6.00 3 months ago and they have done well. These guys have  lots of coin cells for cheap. They also fit a bunch of stuff I have, dig thermometers, laser scopes etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-x-AG13-LR44-GPA76-L1154-RW82-Button-Cell-Batteries_W0QQitemZ230173563132QQihZ013QQcategoryZ14951QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Nice info!
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
One small correction Skip. If you supply less voltage you will draw more amps.

P= IxE  Power (watts) is equal to I (amps) times E (volts)
ah, yes. being a radioshack manager, this is information i tend to not make public. but the man speaks the truth. and the difference in the hearing aid batteries life is due to the drop off curve that it has, the chemicals it is composed of in other words. another perk of the hearing aid battery- no tax.
just good info all around.  god bless sc.
ALRIGHT, a Tandy man.  Boy have I spent some coin there.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

fishhound Wrote:One small correction Skip. If you supply less voltage you will draw more amps.

P= IxE  Power (watts) is equal to I (amps) times E (volts)

sorry fish...

ohms law

i=e*r. EMF is lower, r is constant and therefore I is less. No way there will be the same power. It is less power. You are correct if we are trying to get the same power from less voltage (or EMF), but that is not the case (again, R is constant). Savvy?

(I completed all the courses for an EE except I want to an arts school & you can't get an engineering degree form an arts school)