Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ipod & the MP3
I've had a few questions regarding this so I figured I would post it here so everyone can benefit form this.

If you install the ipod software some of the jukebox software on your PC stops working (thankfully the windows media player continues to work).

In the i-tunes software go to EDIT, Preferences, Advanced, Importing. Set encoding to MP3 (not any of the apple formats). Then save your settings of course.

This will tell your software that any CD's you rip and store on your computer you want in unprotected MP3.

As for the i-pos working with MP3, well, it does and always will (Apple is smart enough not to shoot off their big toe).

If you do not set the importing to MP3, any of your CD's you rip will be stored on your computer in the Apple proprietary format making it pretty much useless to use with any other jukebox or media software. If you have any questions, post here & I'll do my best to answer.
dammit am i the only person in the world that doesnt have an iPod?

lol

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
thanks for the post john.  excellent information.  though i do feel really stupid for not checking the preferences on itunes before importing my 1,000 some odd cd collection. 

now to convert m4a or whatever to mp3.  :?
ColbyPants Wrote:dammit am i the only person in the world that doesnt have an iPod?

lol

TomC
I'm wih you tom I have to borrow my wives or kids to listed to podcast.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:thanks for the post john.  excellent information.  though i do feel really stupid for not checking the preferences on itunes before importing my 1,000 some odd cd collection. 

now to convert m4a or whatever to mp3.  :?
conversion is not good. You'll be better off reripping them. This isn't too bad to do. Use the autorip and auto-eject features. You can easily get through 10 CD's in an hour or 2 each night.
I guess I'm the only one who uses .OGG.

Although if I had it to do again, I'd go with FLAC.

MP3 doesn't compress very well, and isn't high-fidelity. OGG (IMHO) offers better playback with tighter compression -- meaning I can put 50-60 more CDs on my player. FLAC doesn't compress nearly as well, but what you hear is what's on the CD. No loss at all.
& Beta is better than VHS.

I go with standards and versitility. My car will play MP3's loaded on a DVD. That gives me close to... well you figure it out.

I encode all my MP3's at 192 KBPS. With my ears and my playback devices, this is as good as I need. Probably far better.

I dont use an MP3 player much. I cant cover my ears for any length of time. Without air circulation to keep them dry I get ear infections. And with each new infection I get one step closer to this
[Image: eli.jpg]
Although there are those around me who think my time for this has come and gone already.