Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master blenders and cuban tobacco
cigarguy32 Wrote:After the embargo is lifted?
I don't know if we will see it. I think it would put the smackdown on the US cigar industry. There wouldn't be anymore $25 and up cigars from Opus and the likes.  The prices of cubans are far less than our mid to upper lines. I thinks.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

tafdom Wrote:
cigarguy32 Wrote:After the embargo is lifted?
I don't know if we will see it. I think it would put the smackdown on the US cigar industry. There wouldn't be anymore $25 and up cigars from Opus and the likes.  The prices of cubans are far less than our mid to upper lines. I thinks.
No one is sure what the impact of lifting the embargo would be. I'm sure the price of Habanos would be high here. I would guess the average price to be around $18-
$20 a stick.

I don't think there would be a long term impact on the non Cuban lines. Yes people would go Habanos crazy for a while, but it would eventually settle down.

I know I would still be buying my usual, NC cigars. I hope we never see the embargo lifted, Cubans will too damn expensive.
My only thought on this is why do we need it lifted in terms of cigars?  You all know what I'm saying and what I mean!  Personally, I think it'd be a frenzy for a few years and who knows if the industry would recover from such a thing.  I think all brands, Cuban and non would suffer.  It would be interesting to see the blends though...

What really bugs me about the embargo is the inability to travel to a carribean island that's so close and looks like a time capsule of cool architecture and such.  I would love to vacation in Cuba someday.  If it does ever open up to US citizens I'll be there in the first six months.  That should be well before our tourist dollars/demands screw the place up! 
my guess, with a lifted embargo, tremendous demand and castro out of the picture, the quality of the cigars would go into the toilet as they all vie for profits with no look towards the future.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:my guess, with a lifted embargo, tremendous demand and castro out of the picture, the quality of the cigars would go into the toilet as they all vie for profits with no look towards the future.
I (unfortunately) agree
JoeBob Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:my guess, with a lifted embargo, tremendous demand and castro out of the picture, the quality of the cigars would go into the toilet as they all vie for profits with no look towards the future.
I (unfortunately) agree
i'll third those thoughts. i actually don't want to see it end. i think the demand for what we can smoke legally now would go down, probably even resulting in some fantastic blends going under, and the quality of cubans going down with the production lift. i rather like it the way it is, personally.