Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Test Help
I have read and searched about doing the salt test to check accuracy of the hydrometer. I am curious about the amounts of water and salt. Here is how I did it. Tell me if this was accurate.

I took a shot glass and filled it 2/3rds full, then filled it with water to the top of the salt. There wasnt any water above or over the salt.  It was kind of like wet sand. All the salt was wet. I put the shot glass and two new hydros in a zip lock bag and then put it in another zip lock. I left them for about 24 hrs. One meter was showing 66% and the other was showing 69%. They are the exact same.  How important is the salt/water ratio?  Thanks for the help!!!!

Here's a link from Mark Neff that refers to the salt/water ratio:

http://www.stogiechat.com/cigar-forum/view_topic.php?id=3342&forum_id=6&highlight=SALT+TEST

Quote:   1. Fill a milk bottle cap or other small container with salt, and
add a few drops of distilled water - NOT enough to dissolve the salt,
just enough to moisten it.  You want the slurry to be thick and pasty.
From reading his description I think I am ok. He said the "slurry" which is what I had.

Thanks for the link. This site is awesome!!!!
They do make digital hygrometers than can be calibrated after you do the salt test. I have 2 of them.
If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
Where did you get the adjustable meters?? The ones I am using came from Wally World. They were only 7-8 bucks. Not very accurate I dont think. They are 6-8 degrees off and 2 degrees apart from each other.

I wrote the difference that they were off on the front with a sharpie.
RMac5 Wrote:Where did you get the adjustable meters?? The ones I am using came from Wally World. They were only 7-8 bucks. Not very accurate I dont think. They are 6-8 degrees off and 2 degrees apart from each other.

I wrote the difference that they were off on the front with a sharpie.

Thats what I did with my other hygros...Tongue

http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=80
Never apologize mister, it's a sign of weakness. - Capt. Nathan Cutting Brittles
i believe it's boveda that makes a little packet that basically does the same thing as the salt test. they are really cheap, but usually if you make a nice order from a good tobaccanist, and ask nicely, they'll throw one in for ya.
Thanks for the heads up. I am still running high on the empty humi. It is about 75%. Do you think if I put a bunch of sticks in it that will bring it down to the 70?

Or will it only come down temporarily??

Thanks again.
scott81425 Wrote:i believe it's boveda that makes a little packet that basically does the same thing as the salt test. they are really cheap, but usually if you make a nice order from a good tobaccanist, and ask nicely, they'll throw one in for ya.

The units from Cigarmony come with the calibration pack.

http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=80