Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WORDS
I have worked on this for many months from my time here.  They are lessons learned and shared from victories and defeats and my favorite, no contest.  Agree or not, these thoughts and words are from the heart of Terry and can no longer be taking up space in my grey matter.

Posting on the net in chats and groups is a tough thing to learn.  It was REAL hard for me entering  as a newbie, NEVER having posted  ANYTHING before, and I GOT TORE UP.  The biggest problem I had was not realizing that text had no tone or facial expression to read.  Then add, crossing state lines, cultures and dialect, some words didn't mean the same thing.  Like an email a bud sent me with "Oh, yeah sure" That meant YEA, RIGHT, SUUURE to me, and I was wrong.  The SC is as close knit of a family as my own and Many of yours, we have a bond because of what we drive, smoke, music and our interest in it.  If you think a family can’t argue and disagree, come to MY house on a holiday GTG, better known as DISFUNCTIONAL PALOOZA, but at the end of the day, we’re still family, and everything else were just words.  DON’T GO AWAY MAD, just DON’T GO AWAY.

Words are the most powerful tools at our command.  Too often, we become careless with that tool.  The words we choose fail to accomplish our purpose.  What we think we are saying is NOT what listeners think they are hearing.

There is no escape; one way or another WE ARE RESPONSIBLE for the meaning WE FIND in our reading.  When a text says that someone kicked their dog, that is all that is there:  a statement that someone kicked their dog.  We can agree on how to interpret that sentence in a literal sense.  By any sense that  person committed an irresponsible, impulsive, or inspired act and needs his ass kicked, is in our own heads.  It is not stated on the page (unless the author says so!).  Stories present actions; readers  take personalities, motives, and intents.  When WE go beyond the words, WE are reading meaning. 

Readers think as much, if not more, than they are told.  Readers go beyond the literal meaning of the words to find significance and unstated meanings!  The reader's eye may scan the post, but the reader's mind ranges up, down, and sideways, piecing together evidence to make sense of the words as a whole, and THAT is where we fail.

PS.

Lessons learned are like bridges burned, you only need to cross them but once.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Very well said, Terry.

Things have been misinterpreded many times and most times it gets worked out here.  It also helps to use smiley faces for things with possible dual meanings as well. Wink

We know it was a bit rough for you in the start here, but once we got to know you better, you fit right in with the band of misfits we have here. [cigar]

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

[Image: UserBar1.jpg]
Right On!

I still get wires crossed with  people fairly often, alas sarcasm does not come across in print.  Patience is a virtue, Mom always said, and we have always been able to work things out around here.

I am gladd you stuck it through man, it wouldnt have beent he same without you here.

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
ColbyPants Wrote:Right On!

I still get wires crossed with  people fairly often, alas sarcasm does not come across in print.  Patience is a virtue, Mom always said, and we have always been able to work things out around here.

I am gladd you stuck it through man, it wouldnt have beent he same without you here.

TomC
Ditto.

Smiles help express your intent of words. I try to read my post before I press the send button so I can tell if what I wrote might be misinterpreted.
Without a doubt Terry. We all have to remember to be flexible, bend a little and apologize when necessary or not.

We can never be perfect and we don't want to be as this world would be boring. However, we all at times need to be ready to forgive and forget.

You might of had a rough start and I'm sure at one time we all did but we all came together and that is what life is all about.

Well said and I respect you for your words of wisdom.

The Mum
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I lurked for a couple of weeks befored I joined SC. Reading some of your old posts Terry I could not help to laugh at some of your early struggles Wink, getting to know you a little bit better through this past couple of months and numerous posts has been great and you still make me laugh out loud from time to time.

The difference is that I'm no longer laughing AT you but WITH you.

Glad you're around.