Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gurkha Black Puro
I picked up a fiver of these a couple of weeks ago. I would only be guessing again but I believe they may be a CI only make? See attachment for pic.

Here is an exact quote from Cigars Internationals Web site, "Luscious, jet-black maduro wrappers grace the Gurkha Black Puro, which is adorned with a stunning silver and black Gurkha band. The cigar is positively loaded with toasty, coffee bean flavors and a rich burst of mocha to start. Thick clouds of velvety smoke swath the palate leaving behind a touch of spice through the nose. Crafted from aged Cuban-seed long-fillers from the Dominican Republic’s Cibao Valley and cloaked by a chewy, 5-year-old wrapper leaf, you can expect nothing less than a super-premium of the highest caliber. A solid, slow burning, medium to full-bodied cigar layered with bold but subdued flavors."

Pre-Light: I clipped the end of the 6"x52" Toro with my Xikar and the smell was like other Gurkhas, gentle. The draw was good and the taste was very mild. I noticed just a touch of spice and a mild tobacco taste. The wrapper was very black but looked a little dry.

Light: The cigar lit very well and produced a moderate amount of smoke. I immediately got a pretty good dose of black pepper.

First Half: The burn was off and it kept canoing on me. I had to touch it up. The first few puffs I got my weird Padron X000 salty taste again along with quite a bit of the black pepper. The pepper taste stayed the first half of the cigar but seemed to mellow a little. I prefer a white pepper taste. The overall body was about medium. The ash was a medium gray and a little flaky.

Second Half: The pepper gradually subsided and for about 1/2" it was very mild with just a little tobacco taste. I then got a fairly strong leather taste that was kind of surprising. After a few puffs of the leather taste, a nice sweet cedar joined in. I puffed for another 1/2" and lay the stick to rest in the Stinky because it had canoed again. The body a this point may have been pushing toward medium to full.

Conclusions: This cigar looks very good. I love the site of a nice dark maduro. A little oil could have made it look great. Overall this cigar was pretty good. I will let the other 4 rest in the cabinet and maybe the burn issues will clear up if they were caused by inconsistent humidification. I would have liked to finish this cigar with the leather and cedar but the burn was just too much trouble.

Note: I have come to notice that the 4 different Gurkhas I have smoke have one thing in common. They don't have much of a nicotine kick. I didn't notice any at all. I am not saying this is bad or good just what it is.
Great job Brian. Gurkha sure is bringing out a bunch of real black maduro sticks lately. The ones I have smoked have been done very well.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Great review I like all the Gurkas But never tried the Black Puro. Now I've got to get  myself some.

[usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][usa][cigar][cigar][cigar]
Thanks for the review.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore