Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I went to the Tinder Box yesterday...
I was mall hopping with Velana yesterday and I came across a Tinder Box store in Durham.  We go inside and I start picking up singles I have been wanting to try (including LFD Ligero and Double Ligero, Don Pepin Garcia ser JJ, 601, RYJ Habana Reserve, CAO Brazillia...) The counter guy (a pipe smoker) walks in and asks if I need any help.  I told him I was enjoying the hunt, but where are the Ashton ESG's and VSG's?  "Oh, if we have any they will be under lock and key"  [wtf]  Well I guess that is where your OPUS X's are too then right?  "We were sent the 2 boxes we were alloted - they lasted 4 days" - " If we had any you would need to let them rest for about 6 months - they are starting to ship them a little green"  Crap.  Not only am I stuck wondering what these taste like - now I wonder if I will ever even see them around here.  Then when I do find them I get the joy of looking at them until they mature?  What really sucks is now that I know they hide the friggin things I will have to ask every time I go if they have any yet.  Man that is retarded.  Thanks a lot for sending me down this crazy trail looking for the impossible.  I wouldn't have it any other way...  It reminds me of hunting for parts for my GTX - half of the parts are one year only and they made just over 3000 of them total.  Fun I tell you... fun.  I must admit - I kind of do enjoy the hunt...
I hate the hunt and am glad my local B&M doesn't play those games. Although he will call me when something special comes in and tells me he's putting them on the shelf.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
I don't buy nearly enough to get that kind of treatment - it was actually only the 2nd time I ever set foot in there (first time I bought my humidor).  It is cool that your local guy takes care of you.  There is a local store to me, but it is pretty small and really just getting into the cigar trade.  They seem to be doing well so I expect them to grow pretty fast as long as this whole BS tax thing does not get passed.  They have already moved to a larger building with a walk in Humidor about a month or so ago... but with a one person at a time rule...  The Tinder Box has more selection and has a humi at least 4 times the size of TRO.  Happy smoking.
I don't like the hunt....but I sure do dig the feeling you get when you see something new in the humidor that you've been wanting to try.

I agree with you that it's just crazy that they "hide" certain cigars or lines.
the hunt is fun only if it ends in success.
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:the hunt is fun only if it ends in success.
That is so true.
I mean - at least put up a sign in the locked cabinet stating what is being hidden.  Then at least you know the name of the Cigars you can't afford...Big Grin