Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chili
Ok, here is what i got.  Let me see yours.  Mine isnt quite there yet, but pretty f-ing good.
1/4 cup canola oil
2 pounds stew beef (or Chuck Roast), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 Pound Ground Beef
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large red onion, finely diced
2 jalapeño finely diced
6-10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons ancho chili powder
3 tablespoons ground cayenne red pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 bottle dark beer - SAM ADAMS LAGER
5-8 cups homemade chicken stock, or canned low-sodium
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 tablespoon honey
1 can dark red kidney beans
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over med/high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and sautà until browned on all sides. Transfer the meat to a plate and leave all liquid in pot.  Do in three batches.  Ground beef, then one pound stew meat, and then the rest of the stew meat. 
Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic & jalapeño and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ancho powder, cayenne, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until reduced until at least ½ liquid is gone. Return the beef to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium/low, cover the pan, and simmer for two hours. Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the limejuice, and adjust seasonings to taste.

Sounds good althought the stew meat threw me off. I have to try this one.
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Sounds good althought the stew meat threw me off. I have to try this one.

It is tough to get a Chuck Roast at the Supermarket, but it does kickass.  make sure the stew meat/checuk roast is falling apart befoer ya serve it.   It will take a lot longer if cooked in a crock pot or slow cooker.
I am going to print this Ashman if that is okay with you?
I cheat.

Frito Pie is a Texas tradition, and really, there's hardly any point in going all Terlingua Chili Cookoff purist when you're just going to pour it over corn chips and pile grated cheese on top. Smile

1 large Texas Sweet onion, coarsely diced.

1 pound ground sirloin. If you need a bigger batch, add 1 pound ground brisket.

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Saute the onions in the oil and then brown and crumble the ground sirloin until almost done.

Chili powder.

add chili powder until meat/onion mixture turns red. Then add some more.

Sea salt
Cayenne pepper
Tabasco Chipotle Sauce
Trappey's Red Devil
Yucatan Sunshine Habenero sauce
Rooster Sauce

add any and/or all of the above until it's hot enough for you

2 cans Ro-Tel Chili Fixins (it's diced tomatoes & jalepenos with spices)

1 10oz can spicy chopped tomatoes

1 can good commercial brand chili. (You could just simmer the pot all day, then refrigerate it overnight, then reheat, but this is quicker.)

1 teaspoon smoke flavoring

add all that and simmer for at least an hour.

Fritos Corn Chips
Grated cheddar cheese

chips on the bottom, cheese on the top, serve

It ain't fancy and it damn sure ain't traditional, but Odsman can tell you from past experience how good it is. Cool

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
this all sounds delicious!

(bumped to the favorite foods section Wink )

TomC
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Cool
chilis
meat
onion
garlic
cumin
beer

US_Tank Wrote:I am going to print this Ashman if that is okay with you?
Fine by me.  The cool thing about recipies is tweaking ones you find to make it your own.  I got this recipie a few months back from Bobby Flay and tweaked it so it worked for me.  His had black beans, I like kidney beans.  His had no ground beef, i think it works as a good compliment to the Chuck Roast.  He had one Jalepeno, I like at least two.  If you do tweak it, let me know what ya did and how it turns out.
add 1/2 cup of burbon and let it cook off
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:add 1/2 cup of burbon and let it cook off
Just a half cup????