Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the tide turning or just getting wiser with age?
I went through a long period of time where I smoked habanos exclusively.  I now have a growing number of favorites that are non-cuban.  Some of which I have just recently discovered.  Smoke about half and half now, I guess.  Some of these blends are wonderful, with perfect construction. 

So, have I just been closed minded or are producers really stepping up their game?
I think we're in a "boomlet."

But it's different than the "Cigar Boom" that made stogies so popular again . . . that was all about brands and logos and the "scene." This seems to be about quality. I've only been smoking cigars a dozen years or so, but it seems to me that the last year or two has seen more stellar cigars released than the previous decade did.

Add in the "old reliables" that were ALWAYS great cigars and there's a lot to choose from now.

NANP™
[cigar]
NANP™
Viking1
I agree with NANP.  We're just seeing more and more quality coming out of everywhere while Cuba's stuck in their own thing.  That's not to say Cuba's going downhill but they do the same thing (with some variance in vitola and LE's) every year while we're seeing such creativity and new blends coming from everywhere else.  Plus the nic bombs being put out with Nicaraguan tobacco don't hurt either.Big Grin
My feeling is that we have been truly blessed with excellent tobacco crops from Nicaragua.  The San Cristobal, Tatuaje, and Pepin's I could smoke exclusively the rest of my life and be content.
Scary shit Mac!  We said the same thing at almost exactly the same time regarding Nicaragua.  Is this carma, juju, or mojo?  I gotta herf with you!
US_Tank Wrote:Scary shit Mac!  We said the same thing at almost exactly the same time regarding Nicaragua.  Is this carma, juju, or mojo?  I gotta herf with you!
Nic bombs do rock the hizzy[winner]
With possible free trade on the horizon,  as soon as you know who is out of office, I think Cuba is trying to prepare to keep up with the rest of the cigar world with all the new LE's and making a lot larging rings, as aposed to petit coronas which were once the main roll in the factories.  I agree with tank and mac on the pepins being my desert island cigars, so cuba is going to need to step up there variety and quality in the future.  Which it seems they are doing.
After I smoke a Cuban cigar that is on, I usually ask myself why smoke anything else.

Then I smoke a couple that are flat, then I realize why.
I've smoked some very,very good cubans but none that would make me smoke them exclusively! There are alot more non cubans that I love than cubans.
I was smoking mostly Nic etc but after I got a good retailer it is Cuban all the way!

I seem to smoke less but I enjoy more!

There are lots of fine non Cubans but I just Cant seem to smoke anything but ISOM now.