Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOT!!!
Well South Florida is, to say the least, terrible. Hot and HUMID!!! To make it all the worse, in my mothers state of illness, she finds it necessary to keep the AC set at 78 because anything lower and she is freezing (it kills me seeing as how I keep my apartment up north at around 70 all day!). The heat scares the shit outa me, so I put my humi under my dresser sometimes, but alas there is nothing more I can do!

-Ben
Mark Wrote:John has the right idea.  Even if you are not running your A/C to keep your cigars cool it will save you money if you use a digital programable t-stat with a set back feature.  If you keep your t-stat set to 76-78 while you are at work instead of letting your house get to 90+ degrees your A/C will run less and use less electricity.  Even though the A/C will be able to come on all day it will maintain a reasonable temp and will easily drop your house down to 70 when you return.  If your house gets up to 90+ degrees and you turn it on when you return you A/C will run for much longer than it should to pull your house down to a comfortable temp.
This is by far the best thing to do.  My mother in law would not turn the air on in her house until she got home at night, and her house is huge.  Every month like clockwork, $600 utility bill.  After years I talked her into doing this, and she keeps it at 76, that months utility bill was only $280...
Mark Wrote:
PO Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Po, no water in your mumidifiers. Solution only. If you mix your own, go 60/40 (more solution) and this will help to keep the humidity down.

Also, consider propping open your humidor form time to time for a few hours and even removing all humidifiers.

I live in NY on the water. It gets HOT & MUGGY here. It's not uncommon for me to find 100% humidity in my back yard at 90 degree heat. Yes, I do run my AC for my cigars (no one is home all day but I keep my setback thermostats no higher than 76 when I'm at work, but 80 on the floor where I dont have any cigars stored).

I think you'll find tho that these occasional fluctuations will be quite OK. Your biggest problem will be mold on your humidifiers (which I now consider disposable)
Thanks John for the info
John has the right idea.  Even if you are not running your A/C to keep your cigars cool it will save you money if you use a digital programable t-stat with a set back feature.  If you keep your t-stat set to 76-78 while you are at work instead of letting your house get to 90+ degrees your A/C will run less and use less electricity.  Even though the A/C will be able to come on all day it will maintain a reasonable temp and will easily drop your house down to 70 when you return.  If your house gets up to 90+ degrees and you turn it on when you return you A/C will run for much longer than it should to pull your house down to a comfortable temp.
OK, but the end result there for me is that my humi is CONSTANTLY about 73-75 F, and I thought I was supposed to keep the temp for the humi under 70 F.  Am I wrong in thinking that?
ScrooLoose Wrote:
Mark Wrote:John has the right idea.  Even if you are not running your A/C to keep your cigars cool it will save you money if you use a digital programable t-stat with a set back feature.  If you keep your t-stat set to 76-78 while you are at work instead of letting your house get to 90+ degrees your A/C will run less and use less electricity.  Even though the A/C will be able to come on all day it will maintain a reasonable temp and will easily drop your house down to 70 when you return.  If your house gets up to 90+ degrees and you turn it on when you return you A/C will run for much longer than it should to pull your house down to a comfortable temp.
This is by far the best thing to do.  My mother in law would not turn the air on in her house until she got home at night, and her house is huge.  Every month like clockwork, $600 utility bill.  After years I talked her into doing this, and she keeps it at 76, that months utility bill was only $280...

I may be an ass, but I take pride in doing my job right. Cool

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:
Mark Wrote:
PO Wrote:
Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:Po, no water in your mumidifiers. Solution only. If you mix your own, go 60/40 (more solution) and this will help to keep the humidity down.

Also, consider propping open your humidor form time to time for a few hours and even removing all humidifiers.

I live in NY on the water. It gets HOT & MUGGY here. It's not uncommon for me to find 100% humidity in my back yard at 90 degree heat. Yes, I do run my AC for my cigars (no one is home all day but I keep my setback thermostats no higher than 76 when I'm at work, but 80 on the floor where I dont have any cigars stored).

I think you'll find tho that these occasional fluctuations will be quite OK. Your biggest problem will be mold on your humidifiers (which I now consider disposable)
Thanks John for the info
John has the right idea.  Even if you are not running your A/C to keep your cigars cool it will save you money if you use a digital programable t-stat with a set back feature.  If you keep your t-stat set to 76-78 while you are at work instead of letting your house get to 90+ degrees your A/C will run less and use less electricity.  Even though the A/C will be able to come on all day it will maintain a reasonable temp and will easily drop your house down to 70 when you return.  If your house gets up to 90+ degrees and you turn it on when you return you A/C will run for much longer than it should to pull your house down to a comfortable temp.
OK, but the end result there for me is that my humi is CONSTANTLY about 73-75 F, and I thought I was supposed to keep the temp for the humi under 70 F.  Am I wrong in thinking that?

73-75 degrees is fine.  Anything above 75 I'd be a little worried, but you should be fine there.

Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
so beetles shouldn't wake up at those temps, no worries there?
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:so beetles shouldn't wake up at those temps, no worries there?
I recall Skipper or LZ saying beetles can wake up at any temp!!!!!
THEY CALL ME THE SHEPHERD!!! AKA LK HUNTER, FACE BOOK MARIO HUNTER, THE GREAT ONE HUNTER, ETC.
PO Wrote:
LC stogiechat homebrew gnome Wrote:so beetles shouldn't wake up at those temps, no worries there?
I recall Skipper or LZ saying beetles can wake up at any temp!!!!!

You got it.  All it takes is the right humidity and temp and bingo you got beetles.

I keep my humi at a constant 65% & 68* and I have had beetles before.  No one is safe!
Viva Lancero!

"Spokesd!ck"
you can get beatles only if you have eggs. Not all cigars have eggs. If they did, they would have hatched in the drying kilns and rolling rooms where they were made. 99% of the cigars we smoke are boxed in the caribean and stored there for some time. Trust me, it is well over the dreaded 80 degrees there.