StogieChat Cigar Forum
I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Cigar Help 101 (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! (/thread-18842.html)

Pages: 1 2

I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - RUMBLON - 07-07-2010

Hey fellas, here are a few pics of the coke machien humidor I built. I am now fillign ti up with stogies but I have an issue. I need to find a way to STACK boxes, so that I can see and reach cigars. Its now full as far as the bottom level, but if I find a way to stack boxes that allow cigars to be visible to the eye, I wont have to move boxes, ect. I was actually tinkering with some chrome parts to use as posts,e ct to life a space between boxes to make them visible, but it its l;abor intensive for it.

I have a LOT OF heighth left, but not much floor space.

Do they make boxes that allow staggering or stacking for this???????

any suggestions????

Thanks

Dave

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Jimmie the Mum - 07-07-2010

You got me on that one. I wish I could do that with my end table cabinet..

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - tafdom - 07-07-2010

Get your snips and a pile of sheet metal and put those auto skills to work. I would make it open from end to end. I think I might make a skeletal frame to sit the boxes in using a 3/4 inch alum angle.

[Image: 258607_lg.jpg]

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - izzypizzy - 07-07-2010

Can't help, but your custom humidor is very cool! I like how you lined it with old cigar boxes.

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Bluesman455 - 07-08-2010

Digging through your stash is part of the fun,sometimes you find long lost gems!!! nice humi BTW.

I like to take a few cigars from each box and put them in my 100ct,humidor on the coffee table for everyday smoking,then just go to the cooler and fill the humi up as it gets low,this way your boxes stay more stabilized in the cooler without opening it every day to grab a smoke.

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - EvilAsh - 07-08-2010

Wow Dave, beautiful job!!!!

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo - 07-08-2010

how about a tray or series of trays that simply pulls up vertically

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Soulend - 07-11-2010

(07-08-2010, 05:10 AM)Bluesman455 Wrote: I like to take a few cigars from each box and put them in my 100ct,humidor on the coffee table for everyday smoking,then just go to the cooler and fill the humi up as it gets low,this way your boxes stay more stabilized in the cooler without opening it every day to grab a smoke.

Ditto, this really seems the easiest solution. That's a really cool and creative humi (and a wonderful collection inside!), but I can't see digging through it all the time. I'd get a selection of what you foresee yourself smoking and place them inside a smaller humidor.

If you still want to organize the 'Coke humi' - and along the lines of what the Skipper said - one idea might be interior, ventilated, rectangular boxes with shelves and an open side and a handle on top. You stack your cigar boxes in these interior boxes on the shelves. Like a tall skinny chest of drawers, but instead of drawers your cigar boxes slide in. Then you could remove an entire stack at a time and slide the cigar box you want from the open end. You could have some kind of identification system (representative bands, plastic 'pad' with grease pencil, notepad, etc.) on the top of each to show what cigar boxes are inside the interior box.

They'd be pretty easy to make and you can tell at a glance what cigars are in each stack. I'd cut some wide slots in the side or construct them as a frame instead of a box to allow good airflow and cut as much weight as possible. In fact, you might consider boxes that only extend to half the depth of your Coke humi, stack one atop the other to prevent having to pull out a tall stack of boxes at a time. To get to the bottom, you'd still have to pull off the top one; but it would still be easier and more organized than rooting through a bunch of individual cigar boxes.

Apart from something like that I can't think of anything that wouldn't be extremely labor intensive, some kind of stepped arrangement where you would lose a ton of space, or require a mechanical engineer. Big Grin

Same reason I got a stand-up freezer instead of a chest for food...unless you're storing a bunch of the same thing in there it's a pain to get to things.

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - discdog - 07-12-2010

I like Soulend's idea of the slide out trays. You cou make a lightweight skeletal frame, add a few commercially available SS drawer slides with flat drawers/trays on both ends and you have access clear to the bottom.

Also Bluesmans idea of filling an everyday humi will help keep everything stabilzed longer and quicker.

Like the idea and very unique. Great job.

RE: I need some display or a way of staggering cigar boxes-??? coke machine humidor! - Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo - 07-12-2010

Just remember, keep it simple. Don't engineer something that requires all sorts of arms and hinges. The interior of a humidor is generally to hostile for most metals.
I was thinking a simple system where a handle would afford you the ability to lift our one side of the humidor where you could peer into a series of shelves. The same thing for the other side. The shelves would also allow for more air flow.