StogieChat Cigar Forum
I USED to want to be a cop - Printable Version

+- StogieChat Cigar Forum (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics & Issues (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Nothing About Cigars (https://www.stogiechat.com/forum/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: I USED to want to be a cop (/thread-14475.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo - 02-02-2007

When I was a kid some older kids were stripping something off of an abandoned car. It turns out the car was a set-up and was being watched by the cops. Once the kids went to work on the car the cops raced up and jumped out of their squad car. The kids ran. The cops drew their guns & yelled "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT" The kids didn't stop, the cops shot once in the air and the kids dropped waiting to be cuffed. That was when I wanted to be a cop. That was when things were clear. You see a threat... someone breaking the law... deal with it.

Today there is all this protocol that seems to be there to make the job harder, let the crooks get away, hurt more innocent people and get cops killed. If a NY Cop is fired upon they have to fire 3 shots and re-evaluate? What are the rules for the bad guys?

They cant fire unless they are fired upon first (or there is eminent danger to life). Again, what rules do the bad guys play by?

If they see a package with wires and lights.. it better be a bomb or the media will paint them looking like total idiots.

Not many jobs require you to risk your life... And for what?

- ColbyPants - 02-02-2007

God Bless people like Mikey who choose to do it man, despite all the BS roadblocks the get put up in their way.

TomC

- Maduro Pips - 02-02-2007

I agree with you Skip. I was personally heading in that direction myself....I wanted that more than anything. Even have a Criminal Justice degree. But life threw different cards to play and it turned out I was holding pocket Aces cause I wouldn't change a thing and cannot imagine working for someone again. But it was the politics that actually made me change my mind...I was at the very last stage... My Dad is a Lt. and my younger brother recently got on as well.

- Bobgun - 02-02-2007

Times have really changed.  Glad I'm not out thumping gourds today.  Was bad enough back in the 70's when we were "Pigs".  Only terrorists we had were the drunk loggers rolling their fights out into the streets at closing time. 

- Irishcelt - 02-03-2007

Bobgun Wrote:Times have really changed.  Glad I'm not out thumping gourds today.  Was bad enough back in the 70's when we were "Pigs".  Only terrorists we had were the drunk loggers rolling their fights out into the streets at closing time.
Trying to remember if I was one of those drunk loggers.....Big Grin

- Chili_P - 02-03-2007

Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo Wrote:When I was a kid some older kids were stripping something off of an abandoned car. It turns out the car was a set-up and was being watched by the cops. Once the kids went to work on the car the cops raced up and jumped out of their squad car. The kids ran. The cops drew their guns & yelled "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT" The kids didn't stop, the cops shot once in the air and the kids dropped waiting to be cuffed. That was when I wanted to be a cop. That was when things were clear. You see a threat... someone breaking the law... deal with it.

Today there is all this protocol that seems to be there to make the job harder, let the crooks get away, hurt more innocent people and get cops killed. If a NY Cop is fired upon they have to fire 3 shots and re-evaluate? What are the rules for the bad guys?

They cant fire unless they are fired upon first (or there is eminent danger to life). Again, what rules do the bad guys play by?

If they see a package with wires and lights.. it better be a bomb or the media will paint them looking like total idiots.

Not many jobs require you to risk your life... And for what?

Of course skipper it's New York no matter what you could not pay me enough to work there. Me and the Mrs. are about to invoke on another adventure because of the stupid crap I am dealing with now. Policy's and Procedures are so-post to be a guideline to follow not this is how you handle situation A, B, C etc. Another major problem with law enforcement today is Departments want College educated gym rats. Which is all fine and dandy but when the College educated officers have no common sense and cannot make spilt decisions on their own gets people killed.

Take for example the Bank shoot out in LA a few years ago, SWAT is great but you haft to wait for them to show up and get ready to roll. If administration would give line officers the tools they need to do the job they (first arriving officers in LA) could have stopped the full auto gun battle when it started not 45 min later waiting for SWAT.

Just recently a woman was stopped and told officers she was bleeding and 3 months preg. What did they do nothing about the bleeding issue nothing just take her to jail on the warrants she had. Now yes she needed to go to jail because of warrants but they could have called EMS or taken her past the ER on the way to jail. Did they do that no and now she is suing the crap out of the Dept.

It just goes to show one of two things Officers are not aloud to make their own decisions (Officer Discretion) or they are incapable of making decisions on their own someone must make it for them aka Supervisors. Which is great but then supervisors are making all the decisions and then what is the need for line officers? Again this is why I refuse to work for a large department in a large city aka: why I am about to go on a new adventure. I know this was long but I feel better now and this is only scraping the surface.

Chili_P 

- Rob The Long Island Cowboy - 02-03-2007

ColbyPants Wrote:God Bless people like Mikey who choose to do it man, despite all the BS roadblocks the get put up in their way.

TomC
Mikey kicks ass. 

- Rob The Long Island Cowboy - 02-03-2007

which reminds me of the funniest story from sc v.1.  my youngest son (2 and change at the time)  walked into a bank with my wife.  while waiting on line he struck up a conversation with the security guard.  at one point he asked the fellow if that was his gun motioning to his gun belt.  the man affirmed yes.  my son then asked him what he did with it.  fellow said he used it to stop the bad guys.  my son then responded, "so you use it to kick ass?"  my wife said the fellow almost fell over.

he's almost four now and still wants to be a cop.  my older one who's almost six still wants to be a fireman so i guess all is still right with the world. 

- cigarsarge - 02-04-2007

Been one going on fifteen years...Can't imagine doing anything else. I never dread going to work.

- Skipper the cigar aFISHinodo - 02-05-2007

cigarsarge Wrote:Been one going on fifteen years...Can't imagine doing anything else. I never dread going to work.
you have my utmost respect