Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk to me about Cubans.
(06-02-2012, 02:52 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: Is the flavor that different? Yes. But it may not suit everyone's tastes, ...

Are they worth it? Not for $30-50 each. They are at regular prices without the ridiculous Canadian taxes.

Are there domestics that come close in flavor? That is subjective, but in my opinion no way. In body? This is easily true.

Yes. This.

Cubans are great.
And if you look around can be had at prices well within the non Cuban ball park. (ahem... or so I'm told)

They are special treats for those of us in a part of the world where they are hard to get.

They are distinctive and very high quality.

But are they better?
Pick a random Cuban and a Random Non... and I'd probably say so. But your mileage may vary.
Pick a really high end Cuban and a really high end non... that'll be a tougher call. They will be different, for sure but the "quality, complexity, and flavor profiles" may be on par from a quality stand point.

My Opinon... for example - I'd stack an OpusX against any in the world as far as quality. But dollar for dollar I'd pay less for a comparable Cuban smoke.

Lots of great non-Cuban cigars, but I think it's hard to beat a Cuban in bang for the buck.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

> > Cigar Rights - Help Exempt Premium Cigars From FDA Regulation!

(05-28-2013, 07:11 PM)CigarGuy Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 02:52 AM)MaytagMan Wrote: Is the flavor that different? Yes. But it may not suit everyone's tastes, ...

Are they worth it? Not for $30-50 each. They are at regular prices without the ridiculous Canadian taxes.

Are there domestics that come close in flavor? That is subjective, but in my opinion no way. In body? This is easily true.

Yes. This.

Cubans are great.
And if you look around can be had at prices well within the non Cuban ball park. (ahem... or so I'm told)

They are special treats for those of us in a part of the world where they are hard to get.

But are they better?
Pick a random Cuban and a Random Non... and I'd probably say so. But your mileage may vary.
Pick a really high end Cuban and a really high end non... that'll be a tougher call. They will be different, for sure but the "quality, complexity, and flavor profiles" may be on par from a quality stand point.

My Opinon... for example - I'd stack an OpusX against any in the world as far as quality. But dollar for dollar I'd pay less for a comparable Cuban smoke.

Lots of great non-Cuban cigars, but I think it's hard to beat a Cuban in bang for the buck.

I disagree. I can smoke some great non Cuban sticks and some great Cuban sticks...mark gifted me a cohiba last week I smoked and LOVED but I also love a tat, liga, Olivia, viaje etc. I used to think Cubans are the best but I can buy a ton of great smokes without having to worry about a letter in the mail and enjoy them the same. Not worth the trouble IMO.
(05-28-2013, 09:27 PM)NickDrista Wrote:

Yes. This.

Cubans are great.

But are they better?

I disagree. I can smoke some great non Cuban sticks and some great Cuban sticks...mark gifted me a cohiba last week I smoked and LOVED but I also love a tat, liga, Olivia, viaje etc. I used to think Cubans are the best but I can buy a ton of great smokes without having to worry about a letter in the mail and enjoy them the same. Not worth the trouble IMO.

Agreed, overhyped and rated IMO. I have only had a few though and was extremely disappointed.
"I do not save cigars for occasions that may not happen. Cigars make the occasion special, not the other way around."

Ryan
(05-28-2013, 09:27 PM)NickDrista Wrote:

Yes. This.

Cubans are great.

But are they better?

Isn't that exactly what I said?
... cause I sure THOUGHT I was saying that.

I disagree with the statement "it's hard to beat a Cuban in bang for the buck". Give me a $6 Olivia V any day over a $15-$30 cuban.....
Not all Cubans are $15 dollars.
And my point was in My OPINION a $6 Cuban is more likely (No, not always) going to be more satisfying than a $6 non.

But again... As I said... This is my experience.
"Your mileage may vary" on that.

(05-29-2013, 06:12 AM)CigarGuy Wrote: Not all Cubans are $15 dollars.
And my point was in My OPINION a $6 Cuban is more likely (No, not always) going to be more satisfying than a $6 non.

But again... As I said... This is my experience.
"Your mileage may vary" on that.

You win. Some cigars are good and some are bad. Thank you.
Yeah sure - that was the point.

I'll stop trying to present a view point here though.
I thought we were sharing thoughts on Cuban/Non ... I didn't realize it was a "being clever" contest. My Bad.
Undecided

Look man, I didn't come here to argue ( I save all of that up for fantasy football trades). But you asked for opinions on Cubans. And then you proceed to knock those opinions. It is hard to see where you are going with that.
(05-29-2013, 09:49 AM)parkerplus Wrote: Look man, I didn't come here to argue ( I save all of that up for fantasy football trades). But you asked for opinions on Cubans. And then you proceed to knock those opinions. It is hard to see where you are going with that.

Yes you do argue about fantasy trades. Me too. Haha