Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any electricians??
I need help!

As most of you know I finished my basement last year and recently when using a space heater the breaker would trip. Now it doesn't trip but the power goes out. I have one of those "dead" pens and the outlets have voltage but aren't drawing electricity. My neighbor is a licensed electrician and thought he fixed it today by swapping out the dimmer switch. It was fixed till 30 minutes ago when boom, no Internet which means no power. I doubt it's a connection being loose. I think the breaker is bad. Anyone have any ideas???
Seems logical
No Justice, No Peace!
If a breaker keeps tripping the spring tension could be bad and the load real close to it's tolerance. The other reason is a short. heaters are just a dead short"glowing red wire" and draw huge amount of amps. Without being there I would guess breaker. When using a fryer on a circuit here, I hit the 2 slice toaster and the breaker pops. Again, to many amps. Try the heater on another circuit without much on it to see if it trips.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

If you're losing power now on that circuit without the heater, but still showing voltage and the breaker is not showing tripped, the contacts are weak and can't support the load...with T on this one. Bad breaker.
Ok good. Yes the space heater I think is what started the issue. Now I have everything off the breaker and it will come back on shortly. When it started happening I would just flip the breaker off then on and it would come back. It happened when I had a party and luckily it came back on. So frustrating!!
All I know is that when you pull an outlet or switch out do not grab the sides of it when the power is still on. I am finishing my sub basement and have done that twice in the last month. Always double check you have the right stuff turn off! Ouch
Another issue would be to replace the recepticle with a 20 amp instead of the 15. I replaced every one in my house within the first 6 months with a spec grade.

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

(01-07-2013, 02:20 AM)tafdom Wrote: Another issue would be to replace the recepticle with a 20 amp instead of the 15. I replaced every one in my house within the first 6 months with a spec grade.

Good thought, except he would have to change the wire to 12/2, if it is not already. If he ever had an inspection and it was caught, it would not pass code. The main goal of rated breakers and receptacles is to protect the wire, as it is the weakest point.

I'm going with weak contacts/bad breaker.

Additionally, a breaker should only have a loaded potential of 80% of its rating. Just something to keep in mind.
~ 2010- The year I was "showered" with gifts from my SC Brothers.

Gratitude is when memories are stored in the heart, and not in the mind. Our hearts will not forget.
What is the current rating on the breaker? 15 or 20 amps?
The outlet and wiring need not be more than the breaker rating.
DO NOT replace that breaker with a higher rated breaker. That's the first step to burning down your house.
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
My neighbor is putting in a tandem breaker. He is a licensed electrician.