Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White mold -- on my humidification device?
OK, so I have white mold growing on the top of all 3 sponges in my humidor. No cigars in in yet, as I have been seasoning it. Humidity is around 60-65% so it is fairly low. Have used a shot glass of distilled water to gain humidity, and propylene gylcol in the sponges.

Pic attached....The humidor has a top part and separate bottom part -- total of 3 sponge type humidifiers and they all have some white mold growth.

What is the problem??

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

lose those pucks!!!
You may be able to get them usable again, but be careful...

What I would do, if I chose not to replace them, would be to let them dry out, then brush them clean OUTDOORS with a disposable brush (a cheap paint brush works well) then let them bathe in as much sunlight as you can. Then douse them with some bleach and water, let it dry, then rinse thoroughly and let it dry. If you are satisfied that they are ok, you can try to put them in service again. but I would definately think about tossing them out and replacing them.

If you ignore this the mold will spore and your cigars will get moldy. This will affect the taste radically.

PS your shot glass will work better if you put some sort of sponge in it. This increases the surface area and therefore the evaporation.

good luck
Jonathan Charles Axisa, my beloved son, 11/7/1979 - 7/8/2010

Ғµ(Ķ Cancer
I would not even try saving that humidifier. Toss it and pick up a new one.
--Mike
If you want to use those things, I would toss the foam and head to the florists for some new foam. Or switch to a better form of humidification.
I use the same unit, but I tossed the foam (RIGHT OFF) and added Heartfelt beads.
“Evil is sweet in the beginning, but bitter in the end.”
Wow. Yeah ditch it and buy something else. Xikar makes a good one. Or beads
Yes, The Xikar ones are very good and will fit, they are gel.

I pulled the one I have (not xikar, but like in the pics here) apart, added beads, then used velcro to keep it from opening (I could post pics of how I did the velcro if you want).

(10-23-2012, 05:38 PM)NickDrista Wrote: Wow. Yeah ditch it and buy something else. Xikar makes a good one. Or beads
I got rid of them. I put in the Xikar gel ones (the small jars). It was the only thing that I could get from the local cigar store. I might consider modifying them as mentioned above. Can you mount them upside down with gel/beads?
Yeah,
Beads or gels you can mount them right side up, upside down, dosen't matter.
Just remember when using beads (such as heartfelt), do not NOT use 50/50 type solution, just use distilled water.
(10-24-2012, 08:30 AM)SmokingParrot Wrote: I got rid of them. I put in the Xikar gel ones (the small jars). It was the only thing that I could get from the local cigar store. I might consider modifying them as mentioned above. Can you mount them upside down with gel/beads?
Now that I have the new humidification in the humidor, should I do anything to clean it? I was thinking once the humidity stabilized I would put a few cheapo cigars in there to make sure that the mold didn't remain anywhere in the humidor....