Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I got the job!!
(08-23-2012, 11:10 PM)MaytagMan Wrote: Congrats on the new job!

I don't work at a B&M, but I have been around cigars for a couple of days...

A couple of things for you to consider:

Know your product! ANYONE can be trained to punch numbers on a register - it takes a real cigar lover to be able to describe and recommend different cigars, and to describe the differences, etc. You can tell if a person is passionate about cigars within their forst word or two. Also, keep current on the product - smoke everything and be able to talk about them.

Elevate the service in the shop. It is easy to buy cigars for fantastic prices on the internet. You have to justify the price increase by offering exceptional service. I don't shop locally or this very reason... There is not a shop locally that offers exceptional service, and doesn't have a bunch of hacks hanging out there...

Treat the brand new customer you have never seen or a wife looking for cigars for her hubby exactly the same as you treat the regulars that are in their every day.

And all of those douchebag fanboys that think they know it all after smoking cigars for a couple of years and demand that their "brand" is the best over all others... well, you just have to deal with them.... LOL

Big Grin

Now this is great advice!!!! Thanks, and thanks everyone for the congrats.

I am all about the cigars and turning people onto cigars and hopefully finding some beauties in their inventory that I may have passed up in the past.....like you said try everything, this is what I plan on doing....just going to go down the line and try and make notes on the stick.
Gangsta
Cool
--Mike
Congrats on the new job and enjoy the journey into the world of Stogies.
"I will strive to live with love & care—upon the level by the square"
Congrats!!!!

MaytagMan definitely hit the nail on the head.

I kinda wish we had someone like that around here.

Peace
...moving along...nothing left to see here.
Congrats on your new part time job. Big Grin
Congrats! That sounds great....and speaking of great - that advice from irratebass is top notch!!
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
(08-28-2012, 05:12 AM)mad4maduro Wrote: Congrats! That sounds great....and speaking of great - that advice from irratebass is top notch!!

Which advice?

Last night I got a guy to by 7 sticks on my recommendation alone:

MUWAT
AB Prensado
DE UC
Nub Cain Habano
Nub Cain Maduro
Cain Daytona
CAO MX2
Gangsta
(08-28-2012, 08:03 AM)irratebass Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 05:12 AM)mad4maduro Wrote: Congrats! That sounds great....and speaking of great - that advice from irratebass is top notch!!

Which advice?

lol...oops! I don't know why i typed your name there...not that you don't have brilliant advice to give...but i was actually referring to Maytag's advice in this instance! Big Grin
Cigar Art here - http://www.cigartist.com
(08-30-2012, 06:16 AM)mad4maduro Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 08:03 AM)irratebass Wrote:

Which advice?

lol...oops! I don't know why i typed your name there...not that you don't have brilliant advice to give...but i was actually referring to Maytag's advice in this instance! Big Grin

Lol......um ok
Gangsta
HUGH congrats Mickey. Great cigars. It looks like you've been "Wookin pa nub in ah da wong paces" but found the right one. Nice job

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.