Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golf?
Do any of y'all golf? I have been thinking about joining the local country club. Seems like a good excuse to smoke. Where should I start? I have never played before. will a $200 set of clubs from discount golf do, or do I really need a $1K set of Callaways? I could golf year round down here. Is it addicting?
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.
-Jimmy Buffett
get a set of cheap clubs to start and its verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy addicting
No nothing about it. PM Tank, he's a big golfer, even has his own golf cart..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
You will better enjoy your experience if you obtain a set of golf clubs that actually fit you. Length of shaft is imporant as it pertains to your height. Grip diameter as it pertains to how you hold the club. Too broad of a grip can cause you to slice and too narrow can cause a hook. Shaft flex depends on your swing speed as the wrong flex can send errant golf shots. And your degree of angle is also important. You may be slightly flat or the opposite in upright. Flat or upright is determined by a special tape on the sole of the club. When you swing the impact on the special tape in a series of shots will let you know what angle (ie 3 degrees upright) you need in clubs.

Why is this important? Because while Tiger Woods has a lie angle that is 2 degrees flat, I personally have a lie angle at impact of 3 degrees upright. Because I golfed for many years without getting properly fitted, my clubs were neutral meaning neither flat or upright. And since my swing was upright, I tended to dig the toe of the club into the turf greatly affecting many shots including loss of distance on my long irons.

My advice, go to a major golf center and get fitted. A golf pro can do that too. And then order your new clubs fitted properly for your specific shaft, length, grip diameter, and club face angle. Performance enhancing clubs are more peremeter weighted thus more forgiving. The Big Bertha's and Adam's lines are the two lines I would steer a newbie into. Good luck!

Game improvement irons will probably be what you want to start with (perimeter weighted, low center of gravity), and steel shafts are cheaper than graphite though a bit heavier. Spend money on lessons instead of the latest clubs, and don't worry about hitting driver or long irons right off the bat.

You can find iron sets that were the new model 1-3 years ago for steeply discounted prices, and are a step above the beginner sets.

Get fitted, take lessons, have fun
Such a waste of beautiful land that could be best used for long range shooting.
Tony
When you have walked in my shoes, done what I've done, seen what I've seen, then maybe you can criticize.
(10-13-2010, 11:10 AM)BlackKnight Wrote: Such a waste of beautiful land that could be best used for long range shooting.

No worries about that in North Dakota..
They call me The Mum - Jimmie the Mum
Viva Mumcero - Mahk 12/4/2010 - http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-20737.html
Honorary Shield Brother
Weak people seek Revenge, Strong people Forgive, Intelligent people Ignore
Golf is a great way to enjoy a few cigars, spend some time with friends or family, and get some excercise.
I started playing golf this last summer. I borrowed clubs as I didnt want to invest until I knew if I liked it. I had a hell of a lot of fun, even though I am not good. I will probably get a fitted set before spring. I am in no position to give advice on much. If you decide to not get custom fitted clubs, check out your local craigslist. There are tons of clubs for sale.
I like smoking lightning
LISTEN TO TANK, I DID!!

Seriously I always loved to golf but never got fitted finally took the plunge picked up a nice set that I had to order and had them fitted for me(world of difference).

As Mr. Mum says "make the time you wont regret it"
2010 the year I got my a$$ handed to me from my fellow SC brothers!
Does anyone know what kind of club she's holding?

[Image: natalie_gulbis.jpg]