StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Por Larranaga Robusto Limited Reginal Release - Asia Pacific
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: Porlogo.JPG]
[Image: Por_Larranaga_logo_full.jpg]

Por Larranaga is a Pre-revolution brand, introduced circa 1834.  Still Current.
A Habanos Local brand with a minor market share a light to Medium strength cigars using tobacco from the premium Vuelta Abajo region.

http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brands/por_larranaga.htm

Por Larrañaga was registered in 1834 by Ignacio Larrañaga. By the end of the 19th century, Por Larrañaga had become a well-known premium cigar brand producing both expensive and inexpensive cigars. In 1925, Por Larrañaga became the first factory to make machine-made cigars which soon resulted in a boycott by factory workers. At the time of the revolution, Por Larrañaga was the sixth largest producing Cuban brand.

Up until the 1970s, Por Larrañaga remained a respectable and popular premium cigar brand. In the 1980s production fell dramatically and due to trademark litigation in the 1990s, export of the brand was reduced to only a few countries. For some time the brand was reduced to almost entirely machine-made or hand-finished and was mainly sold in Canada and the Middle East. Now the brand has made a bit of a comeback, with two of it's four vitolas being totally hand-made.

[Image: Por_Larranaga_Robustos_de_Larranaga_RE_full.jpg]

Packaging: SLB25
Size: Robusto
Dimensions: 50 X 124 (4.9")

I'd like to preface that I'm a huge fan of this marca, their machine made cigars are superb (Montecarlos) and the Petit Coronas are one of my go to smokes that seem to never dissapoint. I'm inclined to try just about any cigar PL comes out with, having enjoyed their German Release Lonsdale I look forward to getting me hands on a Magnifico some time soon.

This is a very good looking Robusto featuring a second band indicating its limited release to the Asia Pacific Market. I was lucky enough to come a cross a couple of these beauties  with flawless construction, beautiful wrapper and that reliable great looking PL golden band.

[Image: IMG_0255.jpg?t=1212962476]

I must say that in terms of smoke this cigar has shown some progress from the one I smoke several months ago. It didn't seem as wet as it's young brother did, the draw was almost too loose to my liking, no issues whatsoever keeping it lit but this is still a very young cigar.

I hate to say this but I was expecting more this second time around. To me this is not a memorable medium body cigar at this point and perhaps my palate wasn't up to par when I took the notes for this review. I had difficulties distinguishing some of the nuances that could make this cigar a classic. I tasted  a mellow tobacco blend with small hints of sweetness and some spiciness towards the end but mostly muddled flavors and it fell short on complexity.

[Image: IMG_0257.jpg?t=1212964392]

I know there are some of these out there and some of you may have had a different experience. I'd like to read your impressions and comments but for the time being I going to to say that additional time is needed and although the bar has been lowered I'd love to be surprised next time around.

Thanks for the review. I have a box of these resting in the humi right now and I'm going to be sampling one next week with Miked at my lounge. Looking forward to trying this cigar as I have let them sit till now. I'll let you know my thoughts.
Marcelo, great review, I really like the PLPC's as well, but have yet to try this PL.  I may have a little insight into why you werent getting the flavors that you expected.  Only SOME beer goes with cigars, Sierra Nevada is not one of them.  I find that Hoppy Pale Ales and IPA's are not a good combo with cigars as your tastebuds go into bitterness overload from the massive amount of hops and you don't get the full flavors and subtle nuances.  I have found that darker beers go with cigars, i.e. Porters, Stouts, & Brown Ales.
Thanks for the review on a cigar that I've been on the fence about. I tend to agree with mark about you pairing beer with your cigar. Its a tough match.
Thanks for the pointer on the beers Mark. What other libations would you reccomend to go with a milder cigar?
A lighter liquer, like rum or brandy works well. And you can never go wrong with water. With some newer cigars or ones that I haven't had in awhile I will start off with water to get a gauge of what could be paired with it.  
jeht2000 Wrote:A lighter liquer, like rum or brandy works well. And you can never go wrong with water. With some newer cigars or ones that I haven't had in awhile I will start off with water to get a gauge of what could be paired with it. 
Good suggestions, I also would say a nice Port wine complements a lot of cigars well.
fishhound Wrote:
jeht2000 Wrote:A lighter liquer, like rum or brandy works well. And you can never go wrong with water. With some newer cigars or ones that I haven't had in awhile I will start off with water to get a gauge of what could be paired with it. 
Good suggestions, I also would say a nice Port wine complements a lot of cigars well.
Oh by the way I picked up a nice 20 year port for the boys today.
Keith Wrote:
fishhound Wrote:
[cigar][cigar][cigar][cigar][cigar]
Mark Wrote:
Keith Wrote:
fishhound Wrote:
[cigar][cigar][cigar][cigar][cigar]
:dude:
Pages: 1 2