StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: HOMEMADE HUMIDOR out of a COKE MCHINE, SODA FOUNTIAN, GAS PUMP-METAL ITEMS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
I am in a terrible need of a humidor. However, I am no wood worker and love to do paint and body work. I have this old school WWII soda fountain and several coke machine that are basically the same and several odl gas pumps.

I was thinking of making one of them or half of this soda fountain air tight as possible and lining it with spanish cedar and making a humidor out of it???? Mayve use a gas pump. I dont do woood working, I do hotrods and metal working. As long as I make it air tight or close to it, use a humidification system and cedar, am I OK?????

I need some suggestions from you guys. Not only does a wood humidor sitting ina  room not fit my decor, its expensive. I may even start making them and selling them. I have pleanty of room for hunidification systems, ect. I can repaint or paint to  a sellers wishes, ect.  Thought I would try it out.

i could even use this old 1968 juke box. I dont use the music, just light it up, at it states 440 rockola physadlic on it. Wayyy cool for mopar muscle cars dudes.

what ya think????/

RUMBLON

another piece of metal I can use  a WWII era soda fountian, its full of scotch at this time and I could use the other half for stogies for this area.

or a gas pump, all of I can build a wooden structure inside one and access if from inside.???
I think it would be great. A cool idea.  As long as u make it air tight, put some spanish cedar in it and use beads and or a hunidification system you should be fine.

If you decide to do this then take plenty of pics and post them in the humidor P0RN section. Good luck and keep us posted..
even this 60s juke box that matches my decore oin the shop. I can line it with foram, or what ever will help seal it and then spanish cedar, ect and make it nice? 

ANY SUGGESTIONS.  
Wow, real cool ideas for a humidor.  I would say the seal is whats important.  If you can make sure you've got a good seal, you can use beads or an oasis type device.  Check out:

www.cigarmony.com or www.heartfeltindustries.com

Keep us posted.
Magnum PI Wrote:Wow, real cool ideas for a humidor.  I would say the seal is whats important.  If you can make sure you've got a good seal, you can use beads or an oasis type device.  Check out:

http://www.cigarmony.com or http://www.heartfeltindustries.com

Keep us posted.

Any idea who sells the plastic?  Or any kind of sealer that is non toxic or odorless, so it doe snot taint the cigars?

RUMNLON

Plastic? Take a look at some end table cabinets. Mine has magnets on top and bottom and it appears they use a good quality weather stripping around the door.

If you are using a cooler / coke machine you probably have a good seal and just need to upgrade it.

As far as cedar sheets etc. Just google spanish cedar. It can be thin. You can also buy spanish cedar shelves which many of us have or go to any cigar shop and buy a few cedar boxes.
Well, I decided on this COKE MACHINE, it does not work and the other does, so this is the one I am using. It has a dent, but I will remove the dent and repaint it, probably in red, with white letters on the raised embalsed COCA-COLA portion.

In any case, here are a few interior pics and pics of the seal. The machine is a double hood, whichmeans both sides raise up and lift for access. So that said, the rear one will be sealed perminately, so its sealed without question.

The front will allow access to the cigars. The interior dimensions are as follows.

37" wide by 20 3/4 from front to back and approx 15 inches deep. You can see there is a center area that is covered. That part of the cooler and it will be removed. I may leave the dividers inside to do just that divide boxes, ect. It all depends on how it pencils out and what types of shelving I can buy. If thats the case, each the two end section are 13 1/4 " wide, which is fine as most boxes and rachs I am seeing are just over 12 inches. The center is only 11 inches wide however.  That may work for storage for whole boxes.

I now need some spanish cedar and to find a glue that reccomended for this application, so as not to taint any of the cigars with a smell. You can see the corners and walls are sealed well. There is one draine whole in it that can be plugged very easily.

I can also use the center area for my OASIS system or what ever system I will need to complete it. I see lot sof people use the 'BEADS" how long do they last and will that suffice for this size of humidor?

Now, another question? This seal is rubber for the front door. I dont know how much allow humidity to escape. Any suggestins on a new seal or type of material to sue for this application?

I have attached some pics below. I no longer have a website as I am rebuilding it, so its one pic at a time. So please, any suggestions are appreciated.

RUMBLON

DOOR SEALS/ ANY SUGGESTIONS OR DO YOU GUY THINK THIS WILL WORK?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17