StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Wine fridge conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

I just got a slammin' deal on a floor model Avanti wine fridge.  I want to make it a humidor and start collecting boxes of cigars...this place is habit forming  Smile

Has anyone done this and what are the things I need to keep in mind as I ready this beast.  According to my measurements, I will need a lot of beads.

what boxes should I use to line the interior of the unit and what type of caulk/adhesive should be used.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated with this project and I will post pictures with the progress of this unit.

Thanks in advance,

Ross
No need to line it, although you can definitely replace the shelving with Spanish cedar.

As long as the temp setting goes high enough (68-70º) just add humidification---beads or Oasis.

If the temp only goes up to 58º you should get a brewer's thermostat, drill a hole for the probe, and plug the unit into that.

NANP™
[cigar]
Not A Nice Person Wrote:No need to line it, although you can definitely replace the shelving with Spanish cedar.

As long as the temp setting goes high enough (68-70º) just add humidification---beads or Oasis.

If the temp only goes up to 58º you should get a brewer's thermostat, drill a hole for the probe, and plug the unit into that.

NANP™
[cigar]

brewer's thermostat...ok I'm lost.  Can you explain more?

Thanks,

Ross
ross3x Wrote:
Not A Nice Person Wrote:No need to line it, although you can definitely replace the shelving with Spanish cedar.

NANP™
[cigar]

brewer's thermostat...ok I'm lost.  Can you explain more?

Thanks,

Ross
google brewers edge thermostat.  Here is a pciture of mine (used on my kegerator)

[Image: P6130002.JPG]

this device kicks the power of the fridge on and off dependent on the settings that you want.  You can make it kick on at 70 degrees and turn off at 67 degrees.  Avanti has a terrible thermostat, hence the reason that I purchased one.  My my kegerator stays at 34 degrees all the time.
There's a guy over on CW who does custom cedar shelves for wine fridges.  He does great work!  I'll get you his contact info.
Also Chris1980 converted one. Send him a PM
Jimmie the Mum Wrote:Also Chris1980 converted one. Send him a PM

I sent him a PM & he has not responded.  I have something for you Jimmie, Please PM me with you shipping addy.

Ross