StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Looking at a new car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
davidwys Wrote:[user=1330]Matt-N-Ga.[/user] wrote:
Quote:Stay away from the Lexus RX !!!!  Of all the good things Lexus has done, this vehicle is the bad payback.  The transmission is the weak link in the chain.  And very costly to repair.  The have planetary failure, and usually, we see them in our shop between 55 and 75k miles.  I have yet to work on one that doesn't have a broken center console (where the sliding cupholder/coin tray is) and tons of annoying plastic rattles.  I haven't been in the 2008/2009 models yet, but a friend of mine at the dealer says they aren't much better.

The MDX has been a good vehicle so far, as well as it's sister car/truck, the Pilot.  Both have a good dependability rate, and both are built well enouch to aviod the annoying rattles after getting some miles on her.  The only downside to your plan to tow is that it doesn't have a traditional frame, so towing capacities are on the low side.  If the boat isn't too big, it should handle it ok, but i would conisder having an auxiliary transmission oil cooler installed.  The extra weight, and relative weakness of 4th and 5th gears makes towing a killer to the trans.  A cooler will help dissipate the heat build-up in the fluid, and keep this unit in one piece for many, many more miles.

[color="red"]Wow...did not know that! Thanks for the info[/color]
No problem [thumbsup]  I run a Transmission shop, and see these vehicles regularly.  I do all the work for 3 Carmax dealers, and see a large abundance of used vehicles ranging from the common Camry and Accords, to the odd-ball Porshe.  If you guys ever need some info, Recall information, stuff like that, just give me a shout.

US_Tank

Those Challenger's are a damn nice looking car!   As for Madurodave's situation I ponder how big his new boat is going to be?
Have to agree on the Challenger, I would give my right nut for one. Oh well, maybe someday.....
Matt-N-Ga. Wrote:
davidwys Wrote:[user=1330]Matt-N-Ga.[/user] wrote:
Quote:Stay away from the Lexus RX !!!!  Of all the good things Lexus has done, this vehicle is the bad payback.  The transmission is the weak link in the chain.  And very costly to repair.  The have planetary failure, and usually, we see them in our shop between 55 and 75k miles.  I have yet to work on one that doesn't have a broken center console (where the sliding cupholder/coin tray is) and tons of annoying plastic rattles.  I haven't been in the 2008/2009 models yet, but a friend of mine at the dealer says they aren't much better.

The MDX has been a good vehicle so far, as well as it's sister car/truck, the Pilot.  Both have a good dependability rate, and both are built well enouch to aviod the annoying rattles after getting some miles on her.  The only downside to your plan to tow is that it doesn't have a traditional frame, so towing capacities are on the low side.  If the boat isn't too big, it should handle it ok, but i would conisder having an auxiliary transmission oil cooler installed.  The extra weight, and relative weakness of 4th and 5th gears makes towing a killer to the trans.  A cooler will help dissipate the heat build-up in the fluid, and keep this unit in one piece for many, many more miles.

Wow...did not know that! Thanks for the info
No problem [thumbsup]  I run a Transmission shop, and see these vehicles regularly.  I do all the work for 3 Carmax dealers, and see a large abundance of used vehicles ranging from the common Camry and Accords, to the odd-ball Porshe.  If you guys ever need some info, Recall information, stuff like that, just give me a shout.

Good info guys!

Here is what I would like to get if things go the right direction in the next year.  The MDX would have  no issues pulling this small 20', 3000 lbs. 2009 SeaRay 195 sport

[Image: 140238_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg]
and I LOVE the challenger but prefer the 2010 Camero.[thumbsup]
here is the one I really want but may be a stretch. 

[Image: 140236_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg]
madurodave Wrote:here is the one I really want but may be a stretch. 
Awesome! [thumbsup]
nice looking boats there, shouldnt be a problem towing them with the MDX
Why did I have to leave Memphis??? [doh]
madurodave Wrote:and I LOVE the challenger but prefer the 2010 Camero.[thumbsup]

Then you better learn how to spell it.

[Image: happy0006.gif]

[Image: carshow2009034.jpg]

[Image: carshow2009018.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6