StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: My Michelin flambe story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Woke up early this morning to a rear side driver flat on my car. Begrudgingly put on spare,and drove to tire shop. Looking to pay $7 for a patch or plug. Found these were $9 & $6 respectively.  Ask for plug, told patch was better. Wanted to definitely save the $3, but owner walks by and sees I have 2nd leak. I go still $9 for both. He goes, "two holes, two patches, $18". I was getting less happier by the moment.  But, agreed. But, then the tire tech did something I had never seen before and set the inside of the tire on fire to patch it. It was so cool, I was like whoa, now that's worth $18. Never saw anything like it...sorry, I'm easily distracted by shining object. Tire patched, but left thinking it's definitely time for new tires...but that's another story, for another day.

Btw, really long screw was the cause. Damn, in Houston it's either potholes tearing up your suspension or nail and screws puncturing your tire.
Fire in the hole.... Wink
looks like there was still some life to that screw
Discount tire does tire repairs for free. Although they're a little strict about where the puncture has to be. I once had a nail in a tire and they said they couldn't fix it, as it was too weak of a spot to repair. Took it to another shop and they fixed it without issue. Been driving on it now for a few years, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
If you want to see some potholes come to Wisconsin. I saw a Prius dissappear in front of me last week...
For a small leak, like on the rim, I've used cans of Fix-a-Flat.  Seals & inflates enough to get moving until you get to a place to fix it the right way.  If it's a screw, nail or some other object, I usually get it plugged.

I once had an old car that I used Fix-a-Flat on a tire. Sold the car & 5 years later, it had the same tire on it...ging strong, without any other repair (I knew the person who bought it).

Ever have a tire with 500 miles suffer a sidewall fracture, while driving on the expressway?
Tire repair places hate fix a flat...
(04-07-2016, 05:00 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: [ -> ]Tire repair places hate fix a flat...
That's what I've heard as well. A couple places around here charge extra if you've used it.
(04-07-2016, 05:00 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: [ -> ]Tire repair places hate fix a flat...

My guy has no issues with it.  He's a top AAA station.  My dad started going to him in the '70s...I've taken my cars to him since I had my 1st car in 1980.
(04-07-2016, 07:34 PM)Tonto Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-07-2016, 05:00 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: [ -> ]Tire repair places hate fix a flat...

My guy has no issues with it.  He's a top AAA station.  My dad started going to him in the '70s...I've taken my cars to him since I had my 1st car in 1980.
Last time I bought a set of tires, they were doing buy 2 get 2. But as a stipulation you had to buy the tire certificates to get the deal. On my truck, tires ran about 200 a piece, certificates about 24 a piece. Made sense to do the buy 2, get 2. But one of the stipulations on the tire warranty/certificate is that it covered ANYTHING, except fix a flat. You could bring them a tire with a sidewall puncture caused by a vindictive ex girlfriend, and get it replaced no questions asked. But bring them one with fix a flat, and you're sol. But I will sing it's praises when having the choice of being stuck or not.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2