StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: My Luck with Lighters...Part II
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I figured I'd follow up about the new lighters I ordered.

My old lighters were dead or very near dying, and with the ways things are, economy wise, I'd much rather spend money on my kids.  My wife insisted though, that I did need a new lighter.

Some time earlier, Jimmie told me of a site where he picked up a nice light...so I took a look at the site...& they had 1,000s to choose from.  Some real cheap & some expensive (at least to me Tongue )  I've had cheap lighters last for years & also expensive lighters that died much faster.  So I went with "cheap" Big Grin 

Here are links to the lighters I ordered:

I ordered:
(1) of these: http://www.dx.com/p/1300-c-metal-melting-butane-jet-torch-large-10634#.Vk41qb8-1tU

(2) of these: http://www.dx.com/p/pen-style-windproof-butane-jet-torch-flamethrower-lighter-with-easy-adjust-switch-black-94608#.Vk41378-1tU

and (1) of these:  http://www.dx.com/p/windproof-adjustable-3-flame-butane-jet-lighter-with-keychain-blue-164624#.Vk41_78-1tU

They did take a few (3-4) weeks to arrive.  The last one, was the slowest to arrive, as I received this message about it: "failed to pass the airline security check as it contains lithium batteries/knives or products that contain liquid"  WTF I thought...it was now going to arrive by slow boat from China Sad

Anyway, arrive they did.  All 3 types arrived separately.  The 2 pens style I ordered arrived together.

The total cost of these 4 lighters was only $24.18

Here are some pics of them & some thoughts, as well:

This is the table top torch:
[Image: PA080006_zpsfcemarq1.jpg]

[Image: PA080007_zps5yfpq1w8.jpg]

The lighter has a rubber base, for stability when you want to stand it on the table.  It ships loose in the package & just snaps on.  The light was very easier to fill & also to adjust the flame.  Lighting it up was very easy, as there is no elaborate safety switch involved, like my old one, which required the use of 3 hands to use it.  This one functions like a champ.  Some of the parts are plastic, but they seem strong enough & not flimsy.  For $9.18, I'm not complaining.  It has not yet had a good herf workout.

The next style was a pen style:
[Image: PB080015_zpspy3l0f39.jpg]

[Image: PB080016_zps468taq7o.jpg]
This is the type that Jimmie had.  There were at least 2 different styles that I saw, with slight differences.  It is very easy to use & has a large adjustment wheel on the end.  Lighting it was a piece of cake & the switch stays forward, so you don't have to keep holding the button while you concentrate on light your cigar.  There is a folding stand attached to it, so if you want to leave it on the table, the hot end is not touching it.  Being in the size & style of a "pen", this lighter fits perfectly inside my Herf-a-Dor case.  This has been my go-to lighter for the past month.  I ordered 2 of these.

The 3rd style of lighter I order is this 3 flame torch:
[Image: PA270009_zpsyibwvmcb.jpg]

[Image: PA270012_zpsq6tqqbqa.jpg]

While I prefer smaller ring gauge cigars...I'll smoke almost any size Big Grin   So I figured I'd need at least one 3 flame lighter.  This light has a cheap key chain attached, that I'm going to remove..I just haven't done it yet.  It was easy to fill & use.  Most surprising was the way to adjust the flame.  (I thought I took a picture of it, but didn't  Sad )  No weird size screwdriver needed.  Around the fill nozzle, there is a tab that you can unfold with your fingernail & then you can just twist is to raise or lower the flame.  When you are done, you just fold it back in.

All in all, for the amount I spent on these 4 lighters, I'm very happy with them.  There are really 1,000s of cheap lighters on the site, using different search terms will show even more.

A big thanks to Jimmie the Mum for letting me know about the site & lighters.
I love those first two lighters. My pen lighters lasts for years and I still use one and maybe have one left. I gave a few away. The table lighter is very reliable. You can't beat that site and free shipping to boot. 
(11-19-2015, 05:29 PM)Jimmie the Mum Wrote: [ -> ]I love those first two lighters. My pen lighters lasts for years and I still use one and maybe have one left. I gave a few away. The table lighter is very reliable. You can't beat that site and free shipping to boot. 

Yeah, the 3rd lighter is good...but I really love the pen & table lighters. 

That site is going to be a good source of bomb making material! Big Grin
My experience with the lighters from dx has been positive... I've not had any die, but I have lost many of them...
I remember back in the day I bought my first table top torch at a Kitchen Supply store... that was the only place that those "Crème Brulee Torches" used to be available. Big Grin
I love that pen style one. I have gone through a couple of them, they all seem to eventually leak out gas, but I went through a couple of the much more expensive blazer variety and they did the same exact thing. Great lighters. And the first one looks just like the ones I've picked up at Harbor Freight from time to time, but orange. Great lighters.
why not get a xikar only need to buy 1 lighter its garenteed for life
(12-07-2015, 02:19 AM)Nimage Wrote: [ -> ]why not get a xikar only need to buy 1 lighter its garenteed for life

exactly - i just sent in my 5+ year old ELX (try getting a year out of a Colibri) , few days later I got my replacement , it was even upgraded to the new model.
(03-11-2016, 10:31 AM)Roger - The Bargain Hunter Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2015, 02:19 AM)Nimage Wrote: [ -> ]why not get a xikar only need to buy 1 lighter its garenteed for life

exactly - i just sent in my 5+ year old ELX (try getting a year out of a Colibri) , few days later I got my replacement , it was even upgraded to the new model.

I've had crappy lighters that lasted 10 years.  expensive that lasted 6 months.  I've also lost some...I'm sure others have too Big Grin

I know about Xikar's warranty...(I have 2 cutters I need to send in for sharpening)...but what about when you loose it?  It's gone.
Jimmy is "the Mum" great info Subscribe to this thread for sure LOL

Thanks Tonto
Pages: 1 2