StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: food allergies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My oldest son jack was just diagnosed with a few food allergies. Tested real high for peanut, soy, walnut and most shellfish. We had noticed him throwing up occasionally after eating. We thought it was acid reflux at first, but after dealing with this a lot at work, my wife and I had a hunch that maybe it was a peanut allergy and cut out all peanut relates foods and it stopped. His doctor agreed and had him tested.We hoped it wasn't true, but were prepared for the news. Of course my wife fears the worst, death, which possible, but in my mind not probable. The reaction can go from a rash on one ocassion, to throut closing up and gasping for air the next. We will meet with doctor tomorrow and I'll learn how to use an eppi pen. My wife is very familiar with it at school, as they have peanut free rooms, and separate tables at lunch. We will have to ditch a bunch of food from our pantry that contains peanuts, and soy. Soy is in a shitload of food that is packaged, so that will be the hardest. I was curious if any other botl have had to deal with this, and have any tips, or ideas. Thanks
Damn Larry, sorry to hear this and let's hope with age it starts to clear up.

I'm always amazed in hearing what some people have to go thru and am very grateful for what little health issues we have.
Sorry to hear that Larry. I've heard it can be really challenging, but don't know much beyond that. Like Mum said hopefully it improves with age.
Thanks guys. I guess its around 20% chance of outgrowing it, long odds, but still a fair shot.
Sorry to hear this, and thank God that you caught this early so you can be prepared and know what is going on!
I've been dealing with this issue with my son. Always carry 2 epi pens(and benadryl)!! They only last for 15+/-min's. You have to watch everything they eat and read and reread labels!
Allergies my son is allergic to
1-Soy
2-Seseme seeds
3-Peanuts, tree nuts, etc all nuts basically
4-bananas
5-corn
6-milk(mild)

It sucks but it does get easier(routine). I still yell at the wife when she brings home food cause she didn't read the package good enough, its something you just have to deal with. They retest once a year and we hope they out grow it. My Son actually has his yearly check up tomorrow Tuesday.
Thanks CigarJohn, why do you carry around 2 pens? We are leaving one at daycare, and one for us.
Man that sucks. We recently found out that the misses is allergic to aspirin. We had a really bad episode here at the house that landed her in the er. Since then she had an epi pen with her at all times.
So after talking with the doctor we have a plan. No peanuts, or anything that was in farting distance of a peanut. Anything that is pure soy, like milk and cod. If a product contains a trace am out of soy, we will not frett. We just will have to monitor his reaction with all foods. Corn will also be limited. Got our eppi pens and benedryl, let's go
(10-21-2013, 08:21 AM)nayslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks CigarJohn, why do you carry around 2 pens? We are leaving one at daycare, and one for us.

I see you have corn added to the list also....all these foods must go hand in hand.

We carry 2 pens because they only last for 15min(according the our doc)so if your a distance away from a hospital you may have to use pen #2. Our Dr said if your using the pen its bad enough to go to the hospital too.

Our son started K5 this year so we also have pens at the office, good news for us was the principle at the school has nearly the same allergies Smile so that gives us a easy feeling knowing that he's very experienced in this. Plus it makes it "cool"(not really cool we know but our son knows he's not the only one)that his principle has a special pen too.

Plus he eats at a special table in the lunch room with a few other kids that have allergies also.

I'm still wow'd that these allergies are becoming more and more common. I really wounder if its a spray their using on food to clean or grow the food faster. who knows.
Pages: 1 2 3