StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: 3 Matches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw this video on youtube ... I watched it hoping it would help me suck less when lighting a cigar with matches.

It didn't.
But it was interesting.

I tried this method (with my lighter not matches) and it resulted in a great light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOem4JswMCk
I've tried the 3 matches technique a bunch of times w/ zero luck. I don't think I've ever succeeded w/ matches.
I've never seen that done before. I'm going to give it a try on my next cigar.

Thanks for sharing!
Interesting, I always pre light but I do cut first.
I tried this last week. Worked well actually. Took a good long time though. I think I almost used 4 matches though for touch up. My matches were ci matches and shorter than the ones in the video
Just not a match guy at all... Never have any luck
I did it with my lighter.
(the toasting & prelight without cutting)

It was fun to see the cigar jump to life after the cut without taking any additional flame to it.
And the light was perfect - the entire foot was aglow. Smile

I'll be doing this more often.
(again... with the lighter... I suck with matches) Smile
Matches taste better. I really didn't think it would make much of a difference, but it does. I think it's just easier to avoid annihilating the cigar, even if you keep the lighter flame at what would seem to be a safe distance. The secret is that instead of forcing a fire onto the cigar, the match flame is just there a little ways away, and combustion of the tobacco occurs at it's own temperature and the end all lights up at once. At least, that's my theory.
Very interesting! I will give it a try the next time I am smoking indoors. I think it would be near impossible on my balcony due to the wind. Thanks for sharing this.
I personally never found any benefits of any of these ritualistic methods of lighting or cutting your cigar...
I do subscribe to the belief that if you light it fast you do less heat damage to the cigar. For that reason I like to use a torch (and there is no taste imparted by the burning butane).
Don't get me wrong...
If i just finished a great dinner.. Am sitting in a great lounge... Have a great woman at my side... and am sipping on a great whisky or cognac, I will play with one of the fancier methods and enjoy at least the ceremony. But while it may improve the experience, I do not believe it changes the flavor.

now, if I may, back the the butane... Taste is smell. With the exception of salt, bitter, sour and sweet, taste is smell. Burning butane is odorless and therefore tasteless.
Pages: 1 2