StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: MAHK ......... I need to check with you first
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Chick car or not a chick car

I would hate to make the same mistake I did last time and the fund is looking close enough to make a move on this one or one of another two I am comparing it with.

[Image: img_708_1_large.jpg]

We are at the end of the contract on the Dodge, Mrs P has confiscated the keys to the Mini Cooper and claimed them as her own and I need a car to get around as well as transport me to the golf club.

The Porsche saving fund is close enough to go for a few I have my eye on, but I could spend a little of it on an old Jeep Cherokee or similar to tide me by for now and keep saving until I can push the boat out for a 996 model Carrera GT3.

I would hate to part with my cash and find that I have made the wrong choice and that Mahk thinks I drive a chick car, but the rest of you guys can join in the opinion poll as well if the mood takes you.

Remember;

I dont have a choice of American muscle ...... and those that are available all have the steering rudder on the wrong side for my roads.

SUV's are subject to a huge annual road tax

If we need a larger vehicle to go anywhere as a family (vacations or weekend trips) we can hire one.

I dont need a truck

Mrs P wants to hold on to the Mini for at least another year.

And last but by no means least ..... I have wanted a Porsche since I was 14 years old.

[cigar]
I had to go with I don't care what you do.....as long as it makes you happy.[thumbsup]

In my honest opinion I think that car is way cool. If it showed up in my driveway, I'd be very happy.
No Porsche is a "chick car." Period.

But if the testosterone factor worries you, track down a whaletail Turbo Carrera and get that instead!

NANP™
[cigar]
Well Im a huge Porsche fan, however, not a boxter fan by any means. I think the Cayman is much better looking, and if get the S, it is comparable to the baseline Carrera, performance wise.

But a GT3??? I would save for that. The GT3 is a sick car. The 2010 model, for some reason is not direct injected. The Porsche platforms have had some great success with direct injection, so i cannot figure out why it isnt in the GT3.

I would save for a little longer, wait for the GT3 to come with direct injection, and then splurge.
I agree with fishound on whatever makes you happy is the one to get.  Porsche's are cool cars, except for those ones made by Audi, I think it was the 928. 

I have always loved these, but they are a little harder to come by.  Good luck in whatever you get.
[user=1589]carl609[/user] wrote:
Quote:I have always loved these, but they are a little harder to come by. 

[Image: attachment.php?id=6428]

NOW you're talking! [thumbsup]

I know they're really basically just a VW Bug underneath, but I don't care. Speedsters rock! \m/

NANP™
[cigar]
This is my own dream machine:

[Image: 1968_Merc_280_SL_pagoda_001-121239317980...e_item.jpg]

1968 MB 280 SL. I could probably afford a reasonable example, comes to that. It's the $700 starters and $1000 tuneups and such that'd kill me.

Such a beautiful machine, though. *sigh*

NANP™
[cigar]
I would love a Carrera GT3, but the reality is that I would be the only person to drive it as Mrs P would probably scare herself to death in it, therefore it would sit idle for 6 months of the year, then there is the $1,500 service cost, the group 20A insurance cost ($1,000 P.A), the $300 per tyre with 6,000 mile life expectancy and I could go on.

The Boxster S 3.2 is a true driving car, same power as the base model 911, just a tad slower on the 0 - 60 due to the extra weight of being a rag top and the dedicated Porsche mags in the UK rate it as minimal difference from the Caymen for driving pleasure unless you are on track day's, so all of that plus real world motoring costs as well as everyday useability is kind of pushing me towards the Boxster S, either that or a 993 Carrera, but that would mean it could be 12 months away due to cost again, almost 1/2 as much again for the same model year.

I did concider an early 90's 911, but am not sure I want to go down the road of more time fixing than driving that comes along with any car of 20 yrs +.

There are a few 356 speedster replicas that a company in the UK make, these are based on VW Beetle chassis and engines like the original, but with modern brakes, suspension and power steering, but in the end it is still a replica and I still want an original.

A big part of me says buy a Boxster, have a lot of fun now and trade up to a GT3 in a few years.

:?
Doo it!
Big Grin
[user=118]Not A Nice Person[/user] wrote:
Quote:This is my own dream machine:

[Image: 1968_Merc_280_SL_pagoda_001-121239317980...e_item.jpg]

1968 MB 280 SL. I could probably afford a reasonable example, comes to that. It's the $700 starters and $1000 tuneups and such that'd kill me.

Such a beautiful machine, though. *sigh*

NANP™
[cigar]

There are quite a few of these still around on the UK roads Boar, the maintenance is minimal at best and the $1000 tune up you speak of would be once per year at the most as basic servicing could be done by yourself.

As for the starter ..... well I have only ever had to replace one in my 30 years of motoring.

Class motor by the way ..... buy it.

[bravo2]
Pages: 1 2 3