StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: What do you look for in a good beer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So thinking about beer today, I was thinking of what I enjoy most about a good beer whether I brew it or not. I love a nice malty beer. Scotch ales really do it for me. I am not a fan of hops much butt love the malt. I also love a nice stout. Maybe a cream stout. When I want a lighter beer I reach for a Boddingtons. I am a big fan of top fermenting ales over Bottom fermenting Lager.
Love this topic. Myself, a bit of a Hop head. I tend to steer to IPA's and even Imperial IPA's. I really like Sweetwater IPA and 420 Pale Ale and the 60 and 90 minute DogfishHeads are also excellent. I just enjoy the bitterness and complexity. However, much like stogies, the right beer lines up to the right situation. In the peak of summer I really love an ice cold Kolsch, it just hits the spot...as well as a unfiltered wheat beer with an occasional citrus slice that time of year. In that category I really like Lonerider Shotgun Betty Wheat beer. I think that mouth feel and aroma are also extremely important especially when it comes to flavored beers such as your fruits. Aroma has to be perfect for a fruit beer or it just isn't right. I enjoy the malty stuff too, but that would tend to be with the right meal, while I can enjoy the pale ales without consideration of food.
Very difficult to say what I look for in a good beer because what I look for changes depending on the style. I am a fan of just about all styles of beer and the thing I look for the most is that the beer is true to the style that it claims to be.

Lately I have been on a Iambic/Sour/Wild Ale kick.

tarheeel...you say you are not a fan lagers...Do you mind me asking why?
This is my favorite time of year when all of the Oktoberfest beers come out. My favorites are the Sam Adams and Spaten Oktoberfests. I am also a huge stout fan. Not big into the hoppy stuff but will drink them occasionally.
I like my beer cold and wet haha. No I dont drink much and have not differed from old school Miller High Life maybe it is time to see whats out there ....Sam
(08-24-2012, 10:45 AM)wtfdic Wrote: [ -> ]Very difficult to say what I look for in a good beer because what I look for changes depending on the style. I am a fan of just about all styles of beer and the thing I look for the most is that the beer is true to the style that it claims to be.

Lately I have been on a Iambic/Sour/Wild Ale kick.

tarheeel...you say you are not a fan lagers...Do you mind me asking why?

I feel they are a bit too light and a bit heavy on the hops in most cases. Dont care for the texture and flavor. Just have not had one I cared for. If I am going to have a German beer I usually reach for a weiss beer or dunkle. Both of these are top fermenting. The
What do I look for in a good beer?

It all depends on the style, time of year, and even sometimes the time of day. My tastes change wit the seasons, spring and summer I'm looking for a crisp, refreshing, hoppy beer. Whereas in the fall I'm looking for a maltier beer leaning towards the darker end of the spectrum. In the winter months I'm looking for a heavier beer, Stout, Porter, Barleywine, those types of beer with a little more body and alcohol warmth.
What will you be looking for in your Fall beers? With Octoberfest looming that comes under consideration. Do you like spice styles traditionally served in the Fall?
I am a huge fan of Sam Adams Octoberfest. It is not a traditional Octoberfest but I think it is by far the best beer labeled as an Octoberfest. I am assuming by "spice styles" you are referring to pumpkin beers. There is only one pumpkin beer that I can stand. DFH Punkin...the rest are to spicy for me. I personally want my pumpkin pie filling in my pumpkin pie not my beer. Other than Octoberfest the only thing good about fall beers is that it is one step closer to winter and stout/porter season.

that being said I am still on an IPA kick. Its strange Octoberfest has been on shelves for weeks now and I have not bought a single 6-pack. Usually I would have gone through at least a case or two by now.
Price. Rarely can I find a better deal than what they sell a 30 pack of PBR for. But when I step away from my beloved PBR, I look usually just look for whatever is on sale at the liquor store. Not a big fan of IPA's or overly hopped beer, love a good malty brew, love a good stout. Basically I just try to find whatever I'm in the mood for, and at a good price.
Pages: 1 2