StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Punching a tight cigar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have searched and basically came to the conclusion I have confused myself. Here is my problem. I have a box of Oliva V Maduros. 2 out the 3 I have smoked are so tight I just about implode my brains trying to get a draw. I used a long poker about the diameter of a coat hanger and ran through them both. I would get a couple of really nice draws and they would close back up. Help the retarded new guy out here, what I am doing wrong.
Sticks have been resting 30 days, kept at 63%RH on average. 1 of them was from a box I bought, 1 was from from singles I bought from a different store.
Thank you gentlemen.
What i usually do is do a predraw first, and if seems a little tight i'll recut it. Now if that doesn't work, plan B is to roll the cigar between my thumb and index finger and try to find a tight spot and try squeeze it to loosen it up a bit. I never got to plan C which is to jam a paper clip in it, and plan D is pitch it and light a good one
(12-20-2010, 08:39 PM)BDM53 Wrote: [ -> ]I have searched and basically came to the conclusion I have confused myself. Here is my problem. I have a box of Oliva V Maduros. 2 out the 3 I have smoked are so tight I just about implode my brains trying to get a draw. I used a long poker about the diameter of a coat hanger and ran through them both. I would get a couple of really nice draws and they would close back up. Help the retarded new guy out here, what I am doing wrong.
Sticks have been resting 30 days, kept at 63%RH on average. 1 of them was from a box I bought, 1 was from from singles I bought from a different store.
Thank you gentlemen.

(you forgot to mention the hand drill) or was I not suppose to mention that?Cool
I hate plugged cigars. I do not have any patients for them.

You can find some info here:

http://www.stogiechat.com/forum/thread-18954.html
LOL Duke, no thats fine. I did get so aggravated I tool a long small diameter drill bit and worked up into the cigar. Yea I was a bit pissy by that time.
that's unusual for any Oliva product, but it is a hand-made item being made from a natural substance. The leafs will dry at different rates due to different pores on them and even this can cause a cigar to be plugged.
You are on the right track. This is the order that I use.

1) cuss

2) re-clip

3) cuss

4) use cigar tool

5) shove cigar tool through side of cigar and into hand

6) cuss - a lot

7) stop the bleeding, throw away the ruined cigar and get another

you have to remember that the sticks we smoke are handrolled and therefore you run the risk of getting bad ones. However, if you have a whole box and several are like that I would take them back and see if I could trade them for better ones.

Good luck.