StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Humidor Trouble??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys and/or gals, new kid in town...

I mantain a pretty well stocked 50 count humidor. Not a bad one, but not top of the line, either. It was given to me as a gift from the wife. A Thompson rosewood 50ct, cedar lined, hygrometer, etc. I keep the humidor in my room, which has a seperate AC unit (if you know anything about Louisiana, extra AC is a God-send) that I keep at 70 degrees. My hygrometer is well maintained at 70%. Here's my problem...

I find when I pull a stick out to go burn one, whenever I remove the band, 85% of the time, the wrapper cracks and splits on me, like it was dry. I have gone so far as to recalibrate my hygrometer, and change solutions, and still no change in the wrapper cracking after removal of the band.

Any thoughts??
1) Welcome! Smile

2) Did you season the humi?

3) Is the hygrometer digital? Have you salt tested it?

4) At what time are you removing the band? Before lighting?

Welcome to the madness!!

Let your cigar warm up a bit before you try to remove that label. that should help.

By the way you are hooked now, you might as well just buy the bigger humi and get it over with!
welcome Scrooloose.[welcome][welcome][welcome]
If the band dosent slid off or it seems like too much glue and it is stuck, don't pull off the band to save the wrapper.  If you want to remove it when you get down to the band to smoke more, the cigar will be more forgiving at that point since it has warmed up
[welcome]ScrooLoose.  I have found the same problem if you try to remove the label right away.  I simply enjoy the smoke and label until the end then remove it.
Tonto The Long Island Sidekick Wrote:1) Welcome! Smile

2) Did you season the humi?

3) Is the hygrometer digital? Have you salt tested it?

4) At what time are you removing the band? Before lighting?

1) Thank you!

2) Yes, to the letter.

3) Analog, and yes, I salt tested it per instructions I found and it was spot-on.

4) Before lighting, and after reading today, that seems to be the problem.  The Indian Tabac's I have are very tightly wrapped, and burning them a bit with the band on, then removing it does the job!

Thanks guys!