StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Quintero Robusto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After dropping off my daughter, I went out to the porch to discover a brand new cigar by Altadis, the Quintero.

I caught wind of the brand through the Cigar Insider. They gave the line an exceptional rating. Generally I don't put much faith in anything from CA, but it scored very high, was cheap...tough to resist.

After some searching, I found an introductory offer from Altadis for a 5-pack sampler for free after shipping! Schwing!

So...here we go!

The cigar: Quintero Robusto
The drink: Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum (don't judge me....I like it)
The music: Eric Clapton [Deluxe Edition Remastered] (don't judge me....I like it)
The locale: JoeBob's front porch

At first, I thought I was going to be disappointed. My burn was crooked...it seemed as if this was going to be very light bodied, possibly boring. Later, she opened up to me. I tasted roasted nuts, some smokey wood, and maybe cocoa. I tasted a damn fine cigar.
I'm not a professional cigar smoker, rater, taster, etc...I just know what I like.
This was a very good cigar.

The burn never did even up.
The ash didn't hold long, and was dark, dirty, and flaked everywhere.
There wasn't as much smoke as I generally like.
The finish wasn't as long as I sometimes prefer.
I'd call this fella meduim bodied.

I didn't care!

Maybe it was the fact that today is Father's Day. Maybe it was the fact that I haven't had a cigar in a week due to a crappy sinus infection. Maybe I was just in the mood...

This is the kind of cigar that reminds a guy why he's got a couple humidors full of leaves. This cigar reminded me why I love this hobby.
The feeling your fingers getting hot when it's almost gone.
Getting some ash on your lap, and NOT uttering a cussword.
Blowing out a far from perfect smoke ring.
Having to go to the bathroom, and thinking, "Nah....I'll wait."
Totally losing over an hour of your life, and being abosultely fine with that.

Bliss.

This wasn't the best cigar for the buck I've ever smoked, nor was it the best tasting. This is, however, one of the very few cigars that left me in a state of mind that they're always writing about in Smoke, CA, or whatever.

The good life.

I reccommend this sampler, at least, to everyone here. If you get half of what I did out of it, it's worth the 10 bucks.

http://www.quinterocigars.com/

Rob The Long Island Cowboy

awesome review j/b!  sounds like that spiced rum is definately your muse bro.
Wow!!

Excellent review JoeBob!!

As Rob Said....Awesome!!

Rob The Long Island Cowboy

can't say as i'm inspired to try the quintero but i have got to get my hands on some of this sailor jerry. Wink
My good friend works for a distributer....it's great stuff.
He claims it'll get a lot more expensive one day.

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&...s%3D180%26
Great review. I'm tempted to try one
Nice review - inspired me to give that sampler a try myself, hopefully it gets here soon.
Rob The Long Island Cowboy Wrote:can't say as i'm inspired to try the quintero but i have got to get my hands on some of this sailor jerry. Wink
Be inspired. A great smoke. As JoeBob mentioned.. It starts of very light and makes you think it is going to suck. about 1.5" in it really starts to develop a smooth creamy quality. No spice, a bit of cedar and nut with a very slight sweetness which comes and goes. Will be a staple of mine. I typically only smoke cubans... I have been trying to branch out a bit.. this is one of the few non-cubans I have really liked so far.  
Excellent and accurate review. Even down to the light ash that keeps falling in my lap. [thumbsup]
btw- what is the best cigar you smoked at this price?
Pages: 1 2