StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: recommend cigar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
what cigar would you recomend for a newbie who has never smoked a cigar
Good question, without a good answer since everyones tastes are different.  Tongue
I would probably start with a medium bodied cigar and if you like that, move on from there and try a stronger one just to get a feel for what you like.  Also try different wrappers like natural, maduro and sun grown.  After probably 10 cigars (more or less) you should have a good idea of what you like.
I started with an Arturo Feunte Chateau Feunte Sun Grown (or maybe it was a Maduro) myself. 
If you have a reputable cigar shop near you ask them what they would recomend.

Smile
my first primo was a cuesta rey that i liked a lot and still do.  try the centro fino sungrown.  I did the same thing Djaric suggested, I went to my local shop and asked if they had any samplers.  The owner said "no, but what's your budget?"  I told him and he went and picked out 10 sticks that were mild-medium bodied and told me to take my time to smoke each one and keep the bands of the ones i liked and discard the others.  This is a great way to try a variety and pick up on your preferences.
I'd try something mild, like a Macanudo.....best is to go to a local B/M. Talk to the person workingt here (most likely the ownerBig Grin). Ask them what they have that you might like.

If you want to try different cigars. Look for a sampler that has a range of cigars from mild to strong (full) and remember, your tastes will change over time.

Good luck& let us know what you try & if you liked it or not. Once you have an idea of that, we can help recommend other specific cigars you might like.
You should ask the smoke shop owner what he recommends. Pick up 4-5 diffent ones and try them out over a week and go back and let them know what you liked and didn't like. Then you could pick up a few more and try them.
When i started what i did was i went to my local tobbaconist asked the owner and he recomended a bunch of sticks that were about 3 -5 bucks a stick..

I recomemned getting a sampler pack a medium mild bodied sampler pack and seening what you like and what you dont like.  if you live in the US your pretty lucky seeing as you can go one many websites and get a great sampler for next to nothing.
Are you the newbie?  Or are you giving a stick to a friend of yours that wants to get in to cigars?  If you are giving to a friend that wants to get into the hobby, I suggest that you pick something you like and know about, that way you can tell your friend about what it is they are smoking and will help with their enjoyment and understanding.  I find that the more I know about a stick really adds to the experience.  And hey, knowing is half the battle . . .

[Image: GI_Joe_Flint-Magnet.jpg]
I normally suggest white label Ashton line for newbies.  This will give you a good idea of what a well constructed somke is like and it is mild enough where is wont knock you on you butt.
the newbie standard is Macanoodles... but ask the shop owner. That is very sound advice.

Just make sure they DO NOT inhale... this is likely to turn them off forever. Be especially careful with any cigarette smokers as it is their nature.
i like to try and keep a couple ryj cedros for friends that don't smoke. mild, and buttery smoothe. macanudos are another one that's known for being easy on beginners. another one of my favorites is a punch rare corojo. if you're purchasing for yourself, i highly recommend you purchase a few of these. if you're buying for friends, they may be a little more than you want to spend, but in my opinion well well worth it. and lastly, my dad (who is a no where near a newbie to cigars, just has no opinion really on cigars. i can hand him an opus, and he'll be like "it's good" and i can hand him a flor de oliva and he'll be like "its good". pretty much doesn't matter to him, until recently when he found one he REALLY liked) highly recommends the perdomo reserve cameroon. it is beyond me why he loves this one so much, but he thought it was better than any other cigar i've ever handed him (including isom's) so it may be worth a try too.
Pages: 1 2