StogieChat Cigar Forum

Full Version: Can anyone tell me about a Partagas Serie D No.4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While I was working in Costa Rica I was staying at the Melia Cariari (5 star hotel the boss put me up in for going solo for a week).  I saw a humidor by the bar.  I looked in it and saw a Partagas Serie D no.4.  It was $20 - I bought it.  I sat down, ordered a drink, and pulled out my cutter.  I went to clip it and it fought back.  It was a hard snip.  It is a fairly thick cigar, so I figure maybe that is just how the thick ones cut - or maybe my travel cutter has seen better days.  I light it - not much smoke.  Not a great pull either.  Either this was a fake with a real band, or it had been poorly stored for a long time.  I was given a Te-Amo by another patron of the bar during a cigar discussion.  I sat down the now 2 inch long Partagas and lit the Te-Amo.  It outshined the Partagas in every way.  How is this possible?  How is the Serie D no.4 supposed to taste?  I am sure it is not like the one I had or they would never sell any.  I am still kind of bumed - I did keep the band - it was the only one they had too...
Y'know, Mark . . . given 3 of your 10 posts so far, I gotta say, you've really got crap luck with cigars. [lol]

Just ribbing ya. It gets better the more ya know. And this is one hell of a good place to learn.

Sure worked for me. Big Grin

NANP™
[cigar]
What can I say?  I am an adventurer.  I have had better luck than many people my age around here... I have even had a decent amount of Cubans so far.  Here is a pic of some I pulled the bands from so I could ID them later...
psd4's are all-timers. pretty nice fresh, and amazing once they wake up after a solid couple of years aging, imho. in between they can be a little rough, but you can't go wrong if you're looking for something to age.
I'd put the PSD4's in my top ten list as far as cubans go. They have the typical Partagas profile. I would say you either was sold a fake, or a terribly abused one. There is no way a Mexican Puro will top a PSD4.  
ditto.  nothing beats a psd4.  young or old...imho
PSD4 cigars often go into a “sick period” which can last up to a year and a half. While they do taste good young, they will taste even better after exiting the sick period. Perhaps the one you smoked was in its sick period. Just my opinion from my experience with this particular cigar.
I'm a big fan of the PSD 4.
Perhaps the one you purchased wasn't legit?
PSD 4 is one of my favorites. Never experienced anything like that with these great stogies. Why don't you post the pic of the band. May be somebody can tell if it's fake. It's gonna be difficult though - PSD 4's I always enjoy have a pretty simple band compared to many others: no coat of arms, no medals, etc. - simple gold on red.
Seems you smoked a fake Mark.  Don't rely on bands or much of any other packaging now days!  www.justfakes.com   is just one source.
Pages: 1 2 3